Minneapolis to Africa?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I have a new airport to rely upon for future travel - MSP. I'm curious which flights and carriers have proven to be the best approach from MSP?

It appears Emirates does not fly this route. Qatari may. Its also a major hub for Delta so I wonder if same-day redeye flights could get you to the east coast early enough to pick up that daily Jo-burg flight on Delta? Where is that daily Delta flight again to Jo'Burg, DC/JFK/Atlanta?

I have a new airport to rely upon for future travel - MSP. I'm curious which flights and carriers have proven to be the best approach from MSP?

It appears Emirates does not fly this route. Qatari may. Its also a major hub for Delta so I wonder if same-day redeye flights could get you to the east coast early enough to pick up that daily Jo-burg flight on Delta? Where is that daily Delta flight again to Jo'Burg, DC/JFK/Atlanta?

We flew United to Newark to Jo'Burg from MSP.

Yes, United. I will send you a DM.

I'd just go into the web site of each airline and punch in where you are starting and where you plan to end and look at the flights to see which one fits your fancy.

We flew Iceland Air MSP to FRA and then a direct flight FRA to WDH.............FWB

Did you take guns through FRA? If so how was your experience ? Thanks.

Delta and Skyteam partner airlines will almost always be the best bet out of MSP in terms of convenience flying anywhere. Delta flies direct from ATL to Johannesburg and there are multiple flights a day between MSP and ATL. MSP is in my opinion one of the nicest airports in the US.

I flew MSP to ATL. ATL to Joburg.

Direct atl to JNB 15 hour flight

I’ve done Delta msp to Atlanta to Joburg. I just bought tickets again to do the same trip in June.

in 2021 we flew to Washington DC for a few days, then flew Ethiopian air to Addis. It was a morning flight, so an overnight in DC was necessary.

we use delta for trips to Europe regularly. Pretty easy.

Thanks, All. I kept poking around with the suggestions you all provided and some of the other good airlines. No go for the favorites: Qatar and Emirates.

However, Delta does have several direct flights into ATL to catch that super fast ATL->JNB flight. That seems like the best single-carrier option into Africa.

flightconnections.com

Attachments

• 53767896-57E2-4A8A-B83B-9409E34B68BC.png
    53767896-57E2-4A8A-B83B-9409E34B68BC.png
    649.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 10AA245A-07A0-4579-BDB3-9B0032382AE0.png
    10AA245A-07A0-4579-BDB3-9B0032382AE0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
My son will be flying out of MSP next April for our hunt. Plan right now is to fly Qatar. My grandson and myself will be flying Qatar out of Boston, we should meet up
In Doha is all goes to plan. I flew Qatar April before last and it was great.

Yes you can go MSP to ATL on an am flight and be fine. Delta to JNB is an evening flight.

In July of 2022 we took MSP-ALT-JNB on Delta, the trip back was JNB-Paris-MSP on Air France. The next trip will be using AF both ways, better service. But if time is the issue, you can't beat the direct, 16 hour, flight ALT to JNB. If you go that rough pay for comfort +, main cabin was hard on our 'old' bodys.

You actually have many options from MSP. You can take Delta (MSP-ATL-JNB) the whole way or United (MSP-EWR-JNB) Being on one airline is great. You can also connect in Chicago - AA to Qatar. etc. The other big question is are you economy only or would you look at business class? If you are economy only I'd stick with the US carriers as they are less hours in the air. There is nothing like flying business to Africa so there you want to keep an eye on Qatar and Emirates.
If I were you I'd get with a travel agent and price it all out starting about 10 months to departure.
Happy safari planning!
Philip

I am in So Dakota and looked at the flight from Sioux Falls. SD to Mn to Atl then Jobug and decided I did not want 2 transfers but would have saved me hours sitting in Atl but. took the flight SD to Atl but man it is going to be a 1.5 hr layover. contact Jennifer at Travel Express for your flights she does good work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you