Minimum Caliber for Leopard Hunting in South Africa??

larrys

Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, RSA
Does anyone know what the minimum legal cal. Rifle is for Leopard Hunting in South Africa? Is it .375 or larger or can a
30 Cal rifle be used?:confused:

Certainly many RSA PH's will know, but you could email PHASA and ask them as well. Being light boned and thin skinned, chances are its something in the '06 class to be legal if there is any such requirement.

Most South African provinces do not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting and rely on common sense however some provinces require a minimum of .375 caliber for dangerous or big game hunting. No SA provinces require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used. The best would be for you to enquire with your hunting outfitter...

About 60% of all Leopards are taken in the Limpopo province with another 25% being hunted in the North West province.

Gleened from somewhere else and a knowledgeable PH/outfitter:

Please make a note of the following:

1. Every Outfitter in Limpopo is allowed ONLY 1 Leopard Tag per year.
2. Every hunting company is allowed a maximum of two tags per year, it does not matter HOW many outfitters form part of that company.
3. If a hunt is unsuccesful then the tag goes to people that was drawn on a waiting list!
4. An outfitter must supply the details of his hunter, and a renumeration agreement to LEDET before or on 30 March of every year. Failure to do so will result in the tag being passed onto the waiting list.
5. A non refundable fee of R5,000.00 must go to the LHLF training fund, and the tag fee is about R1,600.00 Total of about $1,000.00. This paid when you apply for your tag.
6. The land where the hunt will be conducted must be 1,000ha (2,500 acres) or bigger, and the Leopard may not be hunted outside the allocated piece of land. So, if you do a Leopard hunt with your PH and you are driving to various properties baiting every where, even with the owners persmission....it is ILLEGAL.
7. You are only allowed to kill the Leopard on the land the permit is issued on.
8. You must shoot the cat with a .375 or bigger calibre.

Thanks graybird!

This was put in to place this May 27, 2011. It is in a PDF file.

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=146677

As I understand it prior to passing these standards in different areas had different requirements. These standards are suppose to be, as I understand it, nationwide.

They state 150 grain bullet is legal for leopard. As with many other laws (at home and abroad) it is somewhat convaluted.

I am not sure which is correct however just a little more info from the world wide web.

Attachments

• norms-and-standards-for-hunting-methods-in-south-africa.pdf
    324 KB · Views: 124

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross