Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey guys,

Going through a few things regarding legislation and I see a few African countries (European countries too) don't allow firearms chambered in military calibers.

I've read somewhere that France now allows the 30-06, does that mean that the 30-06 is still considered a military round or was France just fussy and the rest of the world doesn't see it as such?

As usual, thanks for the assistance!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
223 as far as I know not allowed in France. ....semi auto like mini 14 were chambered for .222. But could have changed. ..certain metric designations are illegal for civilians in some European countries. . but think when imperial used seems ok....but......who knows how someone might be thinking. ...

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I recall reading. Magazine article where New Caledonia do not allow military chambering sand in that example a person could not take a ..308 so rebarrelled to 7mm-08.
I don’t know of any reference or list though

Alistair

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
As far as France is concerned, they did have a blanket ban on pretty much all WW2 or later military rounds for civilian use. So 30-06, .308, 7.62x39, 223 etc etc.

This was lifted reletively recently, I think around 2013. You can now use pretty much any round that you can anywhere else, although energy and calibre limits may be in place for certain game.

The ONLY exceptions are for current service rounds. These are more heavily restricted and you would need to be able to prove residency to source ammo. No idea of the import situation there. For reference the most heavily restricted calibres today are: 50bmg, 14.5x114, 223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 45acp and 9mm para.

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Can’t say anything specific but I know certain countries don’t allow calibers used by military/police. The 9x21 pistol round was developed for the very purpose of going around the ban.

Also certain airlines refuse to carry firearms chambered for such cartridges. If I recall correctly British Airways was refusing to carry 308Win.

When it comes to the stupidity of anti firearms laws sky is the limit.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I took my 308 Win to RSA and was never questioned anywhere.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Can’t say anything specific but I know certain countries don’t allow calibers used by military/police. The 9x21 pistol round was developed for the very purpose of going around the ban.

Also certain airlines refuse to carry firearms chambered for such cartridges. If I recall correctly British Airways was refusing to carry 308Win.

When it comes to the stupidity of anti firearms laws sky is the limit.

Never heard of issues with .308 as years ago travelled with them on BA....however they had a problem with .338 lapua as said it was mainly a sniper round...I know from talking to one of the people who had a firearms courier/visitors service that they had to go and try and help someone at Heathrow as they had a .338 win mag and they wouldn't check it in....Unfortunately it was a .338 and didn't matter what the courier people said or explained that they were totally different ...the fact it had the numbers. 338 were enough... and it didn't go....So yeah the odd strange issue arises...

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I would think the French would welcome the 30-06 cartridge seeing how it liberated them in the hands of US GI’s and their M1 Garands. Mexico has this type of regulation also, got to wonder what illogical thought process came to the conclusion that a 7.62 round can not be in the hands of a civilian yet they can have a 300 WM!o_O

kurpfalzjäger

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I would think the French would welcome the 30-06 cartridge seeing how it liberated them in the hands of US GI’s and their M1 Garands. Mexico has this type of regulation also, got to wonder what illogical thought process came to the conclusion that a 7.62 round can not be in the hands of a civilian yet they can have a 300 WM!o_O

The law that prohibited military cartridges in France dates from 1939.

They weren't forbidden but you had to apply for a permit if you wanted to buy a permitted rifle that fire such a cartridge. In the meantime the laws have been amended and adapted to the european gun-laws. For this cartridges , 7,62 × 39 , 5,56 × 45 , 5,45 × 39 , 12,7 × 99 and 14,5 × 114 , you still need a permit. The others rifles and cartridges are only subject to registration.

By the way , only certified shooters or hunters with a valid annual license are entitled to purchase and own a gun or a rifle , no matter what caliber.

Last edited:

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Perhaps things aren't completely disastrous in my corner of Europe. You have to justify why you want a gun, and hunting and sport shooting are the near-exclusive justifications for a permit. The Finnish gun laws do not concern themselves with minor details like cartridges. However, if you want a .50 BMG, the issuing authority will quite likely ask: Why do you want it? Where can you shoot it?

kurpfalzjäger

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
In Germany the gun-laws are also very restrictive too. All permitted gun or rifles of an owner are registered , but above all you have to have a need to get the gun or rifle approved. For a hunter the need is often clear , but it is more difficult for the shooter who has to prove his regular practice and participation in competitions in various disciplines.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I may visit those places, but would not live there. if you are a law abiding citizen here you can own just about what you want(even automatic,s with a 200.00 federal tax stamp) and cc permits are must issue. I just bought a ruger lcp .380 auto pistol for hot weather cc and was out the door in 20 minutes with pistol and ammo. in june 1944 the French must have over looked the 3006 and all those thousands of garands that came a ashore.

kurpfalzjäger

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The restrictive gun-laws in France are due to a political situation before 1939. One was afraid of underground organizations and wanted to prevent the people from owning rifles that can fire military ammunition. The WWII only fed later the illicit arms market because of the many weapons that have come into the country.

The law then became with time illogical , but has survived for over 70 years with only slight changes.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Again, THANK GOD FOR THE GOOD OLD USA! We have a lot of bureaucratic bullshit but we also have much more freedom than anywhere else in the world. Free citizens, not subjects.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
The November 2015 terrorist attacks in France resulted in 131 dead and 413 injuries. Wonder what that number would have been if people were armed? Sadly, We will never know but my guess would be substantially less. An armed society tends to be a much more polite society. Speaking with friends around the world it seems that the thought of armed private citizens conjures up images of the old west and shootouts in the street. I always try to explain that my belief is that a lot of incidents don’t happen simply because the populous is most likely armed. Most things happen where carry of a gun is not allowed, criminals for the most part can read the signs that say gun free zone.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I can understand the French not liking the 8mm mauser, but they should have build a schrine to the 3006.. I have a garand built in early 1944 that could have been in france.

DSCN0019 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Zorg

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
The free world should love Finland, they were a significant part in the defeat of the 3rd Reich.
Can you expand on this?

I'm a bit of a military history buff, WWII especially (my father served). Finland was allied with The Third Reich due to aggression of the USSR which was a great international embarrassment to the USSR as to how well Finnish forces resisted the USSR. Photos of Finnish AFV's in that period are marked with stylized swastikas, and many Carcano rifles from Italy were used by Finnish forces in that period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
exchangecoin24

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.