Midway USA Has IMR4895 Powder In Stock Tonight

Thanks for the update but if the shortages are being resolved, hopefully it won't be too long before we can order 4-8lbs to make the hazmat fee worth paying.

Thanks for the update but if the shortages are being resolved, hopefully it won't be too long before we can order 4-8lbs to make the hazmat fee worth paying.

@Ray B lets not let wishful aspirations get in the way of realities. I’ve been buying every single viable powder I can find for the past 18 months and every single primer as well. My score?

2 jars of h4350
1 jar 4198
1 jar RL17
1 sleeve of 215m primers
2 jars of 4895 (from the advert above)

It doesn’t look like availability is healing. In fact, the gun dealers I’m speaking with are saying supply chain will need 4-6 years to heal from the shortages and in some calibers of loaded ammunition, may take a decade.

Sales on powder and waived hazmat fees are never, ever coming back.

There is a lot coming and going on midway right now. That IMR 4895 has been around for about 2 weeks. H335 has been around a while also. Small rifle, and 209a primers are in stock.

There is a lot coming and going on midway right now. That IMR 4895 has been around for about 2 weeks. H335 has been around a while also. Small rifle, and 209a primers are in stock.

I‘m a simple man. I just need 8 lbs of RL-15 and 3-4 pounds of 3031 and I’ll be all set.

I hate hate hate reloading and find it solely a necessary evil when I cannot get a double to regulate or I need to load for something unavailable from the factory. That means 4350-RL15-3031 usually.

Sorry to be a whiny grouch, I just can’t stand the absolute supply chain paralysis keeping me from using some of my guns.

I hear you, I could get by with 4064, 4895, 4350, and 4831SC as far as rifles go. I reload for all my calibers, and must have 20 different kinds of powder, I’m trying to buy fewer kinds and more of each.

I had to stop buying powder and build another storage magazine. Powder, at normal prices, has been sporadic, but available. Just had to be patient and check often. And I won't buy online unless I can get at least 3-8# kegs at a time to spread the hazmat charge out.
Primers, on the other hand, have been hard to come by. Trading the ones I seldom use has kept me in good supply of the ones I do. The good news is, there is a new company that plans to be up and running sometime this spring in Texas. Primer production is what they will do. Can't find the link to the story to post here, sorry. If they get rolling, it should improve our ability to get primers.
Will be using some of said powder and primers today as I start load development for a 300WSM and a 375H&H (wind has finally died out and the sun is out).

The fact of the matter is that the reloading component manufacturers are selling most of their products to the ammo manufacturers for a much higher profit, leaving the scraps for the reloading crowd. Many of the ammo manufacturers own some of the reloading component manufacturers. Look at the price of factory ammo and what ammo is mostly available? Where I live, the ammo available is mostly NOTHING anyone has a rifle for! If you do find .270, .308, .30-06. etc., it's $40-50/box for the same ammo Wal Mart was selling for $18/box two years ago. Think about this: In the ENTIRE history of factory ammo price increases since the '40s and '50s, the above ammo has gone from the $18/box to the current prices. I believe the ammo, component and firearms companies are in cahoots to a certain extent and "price fixing" their products and producing most of the ammo used in their new rifle chamberings at the expense of ALL factory ammo. When you have shelves full of .50BMG, .350 Legend, 6.5 this and 6.8 that and none of common hunting cartridges, it's clear to me the available reloading components are being used to manufacture the newest ammo for their latest rifles. They've used the pandemic "supply shortages" as cover for pushing their new products. Remember the WSSM and SAUM failures and to a lesser extent the WSM cartridges? They're determined not to let that happen again. "Never let a good crisis go to waste"! Just my 2 centavos.

Just got a product notification at Midway USA has IMR 4831 in stock!

The fact of the matter is that the reloading component manufacturers are selling most of their products to the ammo manufacturers for a much higher profit, leaving the scraps for the reloading crowd. Many of the ammo manufacturers own some of the reloading component manufacturers. Look at the price of factory ammo and what ammo is mostly available? Where I live, the ammo available is mostly NOTHING anyone has a rifle for! If you do find .270, .308, .30-06. etc., it's $40-50/box for the same ammo Wal Mart was selling for $18/box two years ago. Think about this: In the ENTIRE history of factory ammo price increases since the '40s and '50s, the above ammo has gone from the $18/box to the current prices. I believe the ammo, component and firearms companies are in cahoots to a certain extent and "price fixing" their products and producing most of the ammo used in their new rifle chamberings at the expense of ALL factory ammo. When you have shelves full of .50BMG, .350 Legend, 6.5 this and 6.8 that and none of common hunting cartridges, it's clear to me the available reloading components are being used to manufacture the newest ammo for their latest rifles. They've used the pandemic "supply shortages" as cover for pushing their new products. Remember the WSSM and SAUM failures and to a lesser extent the WSM cartridges? They're determined not to let that happen again. "Never let a good crisis go to waste"! Just my 2 centavos.
This is how it has always been. What we have available as reloaders is, and always has been, the surplus from ammunition manufacturers. Their requirements have always driven the market. Reloaders make up a very small percentage of the shooters in the world.
From what I have found, the price of raw materials going up has driven up the cost of manufacturing. Virtually all metal markets have skyrocketed over the last 2 years. Unfortunately, some of those raw materials are not primarily sourced in the US and must be imported. So we have that to add on the increases and the problems associated with importing anything right now.
Internally, as in the US, there is a real shipping problem. Have a couple friends who own trucking companies. They cannot find enough drivers to keep all their trucks on the road. New regs make it more difficult (and expensive) to become a truck driver. One state in particular, won't let a truck over 10 years old in to haul freight. So it sits in containers, waiting. Other ships have to just anchor as there is no more space to stack containers. Take a stab at which state that is. All this has added onto the price per mile to have anything moved. Oh yeah, and fuel costs have taken major jumps up again.
All this to say, it isn't the ammunition manufacturers that are driving up prices and somehow "gouging" us. This is just one of many examples of the problems the moron in the white house and his policies have exacerbated. We have had a "perfect storm" roll through with a senile, witless captain at the helm. So far, the ship hasn't rolled, but don't take your life jacket off yet.....

@CoElkHunter this is why I think we have a crisis that will end in part in a DECADE and will never end in part.

Why a decade: to your point, the manufacturers can devote all attention to loading 30-06, 308, 9mm, 5.56, 40 S&W, and the like. Set up a manufacturing run of these and they instantly are pre-sold to distributors in infinite quantity. Maximum proft for the manufacturer. That infinite demand and high margin has to end for the ammo manufacturer to start taking on the risk and low profitability of limited run ammo they build and watch it rot on a shelve for a decade before they recapture their manufacturing costs. Examples of these I can think of was Remington 7x64 brenneke...it was everywhere 4 years ago because their minimum run languished for 10-15 years. Now, you will not find it anywhere, nor will you for at least ten years because it makes no sense to make something at quantity that is slow to sell. Only when ammo is worthless, abundant, and all backorders have been fulfilled will we start to see "tier 2" popularity calibers return to wide availability. Only after that happens, then will the manufacturers start to sell brass, powder, primers, and bullets that are lower profit than completed goods.

Why never: A lot of these cartridges and components were on legacy tooling run by small shops. Woodleigh (gone), North Fork Bullets, Bell, Jamison, and Bertram Brass. Those were labors of love that will never come back because it just isn't worth the trouble to make 500 jeff brass or 318 westley bullets or 425WR, or, or, or. You're cooked.

I was talking to a PH today about big guns and I gave him a recommendation. If you're building a stopping rifle, a wildcat that uses 375HH or 458WM brass, necked up to whatever, that uses the 470 / 500 standard bullets is the recipe for being able to have access to components over the long haul. A friend of mine cannot find 500 jeff brass anywhere so his rifle goes out of service when his 20 pieces of brass wear out.

This is how it has always been. What we have available as reloaders is, and always has been, the surplus from ammunition manufacturers. Their requirements have always driven the market. Reloaders make up a very small percentage of the shooters in the world.
From what I have found, the price of raw materials going up has driven up the cost of manufacturing. Virtually all metal markets have skyrocketed over the last 2 years. Unfortunately, some of those raw materials are not primarily sourced in the US and must be imported. So we have that to add on the increases and the problems associated with importing anything right now.
Internally, as in the US, there is a real shipping problem. Have a couple friends who own trucking companies. They cannot find enough drivers to keep all their trucks on the road. New regs make it more difficult (and expensive) to become a truck driver. One state in particular, won't let a truck over 10 years old in to haul freight. So it sits in containers, waiting. Other ships have to just anchor as there is no more space to stack containers. Take a stab at which state that is. All this has added onto the price per mile to have anything moved. Oh yeah, and fuel costs have taken major jumps up again.
All this to say, it isn't the ammunition manufacturers that are driving up prices and somehow "gouging" us. This is just one of many examples of the problems the moron in the white house and his policies have exacerbated. We have had a "perfect storm" roll through with a senile, witless captain at the helm. So far, the ship hasn't rolled, but don't take your life jacket off yet.....
Maybe your right, especially about reloaders being a small percentage of the equation. I still can’t reconcile in my feeble mind though, why as a small example, a local (actually several) gun store has a dozen or more new rifles for sale of different brands and HALF are 6.5 Creemoors. Not ONE is a .270, .308 or .30-06. Oh, and they have PLENTY of 6.5 ammo. Isn’t that a little strange? And this same example is not a one off as they haven’t carried more than an occasional rifle in a standard non magnum hunting cartridge for months! Sure seems to me the rifle manufacturers are focusing the buyer towards their new chamberings with plenty of available ammo for them? Maybe it’s only a mirage, but it doesn’t feel that way to me.

Last edited:
Maybe your right, especially about reloaders being a small percentage of the equation. I still can’t reconcile in my feeble mind though, why as a small example, a local (actually several) gun store has a dozen or more new rifles for sale of different brands and HALF are 6.5 Creemoors. Not ONE is a .270, .308 or .30-06. Oh, and they have PLENTY of 6.5 ammo. Isn’t that a little strange? And this same example is not a one off as they haven’t carried more than an occasional rifle in a standard non magnum hunting cartridge for months! Sure seems to me the rifle manufacturers are focusing the buyer towards their new chamberings with plenty of available ammo for them? Maybe it’s only a mirage, but it doesn’t feel that way to me.
In the case of rifles (and pistols), the manufacturers are catering to what is the hottest selling item right now. It's why there is a plethora of AR rifles and components out there. For unknown reasons (at least to the AH bunch), the 6.5Manbun has become a hot item in the rifle sales. Go figure. Same reason I haven't seen a decent piece of walnut on a production rifle in a long time. What's selling is these ugly synthetics.
Sportsmans still had a good selection of "traditional" chamberings, but certainly not as many as the hot sellers. At least that was the case before Christmas (last time I was in there). Haven't been to Paradise for some time, and Specialty Sports has always catered to the black rifle crowd.
But the hardware is no longer seeing the same shortage as it was in 2020; they have mostly caught up. It's going to take awhile for the food supply for all these new peashooters to catch up; but it will.

I went back to see if they had any 4064 and they have some AA but not IMR, so I ordered 2 #s of the AA. I am down to one # of IMR and like it a lot in my .308's and the AA will be perhaps not identical, some say a tad slower, but that will work.

I got an 8 pounder of AA4064 a while back. I was in the same boat as @sestoppelman. Before Christmas I got an 8 pounder of H4831SC to go with that 270 @rookhawk sold me.
They have had H110 forever it a favorite of mine in 357 and 44 magnum, but a while back I secured a 4 pounder of WW296.
Between the powder, primers and that browning Hi-power, last months credit card bill required extra postage.

I yearn for the "olden days"....... two years ago. LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois