Methods for Testing Optics?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I read comments that one brand of scope is better than another and so on. I have several brands of scopes from a vast timespan of years and I am wondering how I can make a comparison test of them. My brother in law, a retired airplane engineer gave a chart to me that has several lines and gaps on it varying in size from wide to quite thin. The idea is to look through the scope and see how fine a line can be discerned and if the lines change direction from vertical & horizontal to curved either making a concave or convex pattern. This is done in bright light and in gradual steps into very dark. The problem is putting the scope in a fixed ;position, then trying to look through it and record the image. After a little looking, my eyes find it difficult to tell what I'm looking at. I've tried taking photographs with a DSLR with some success, but it adds variable where the camera may be making one scope appear better than another.

Has anyone done any investigating along this line? If so, I would really like to hear about a workable method so as not to re-invent a process.

I have never gone so far as to test for lens aberrations with the pattern as you brother in law has provided.
I was more concerned with light transmission in low light conditions and I used a semi dark room comparable to twilight and determined which made it possible to read a set text more clearly.
All totally subjective, but it's my eyes that have to look through the scope or binoculars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross