MET is requested to ban the import and export of all gene-manipulated wild game species into Namibia

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
The Federation of Namibian Tourism Associations (FENATA) resolved at its AGM held on 30 June that:

FENATA requests MET to ban the import and export of all gene-manipulated wild game species into or out of Namibia, as well as all game trophies bred for colour variations or game animals which are used for artificial breeding of outsized trophies.

NAPHA congratulates Mr Bernd Schneider for being elected as the new chairman of the Federation.

Source: Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA)

wont this effect all of africa sooner than later?

Jerome, what would this effectively cover? Things like golden wildebeest/gemsbok, copper springbok?

I have to say this strikes me as silly in the extreme. What is a natural colour variation and what is not? Some are clear, but some are not so clear. And breeding for larger horn size? That would exclude substantially all of the buffalo, sable, roan and a few others in South Africa. And a material portion of the deer taken every year in the US.

How will a line be drawn, and more importantly, how does one get the job of drawing the lines (because I'd like the job - the potential for "benefits" would be enormous)?

BENEFITS,thats what they call it in africa politics.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Jerome, what would this effectively cover? Things like golden wildebeest/gemsbok, copper springbok?
I'm honestly not quite sure but if I hear more from the Ministry of Environment & Tourism I will sure bring more details.

For information know that you will find in some places in Namibia the Golden Oryx where it occurs naturally.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Namibia will be on the right side of history. Designing color varieties for consumable resources creates a lot of moral problems to the cause of hunting.

What benefit does line bred animal colors have to the wild species? (a tenuous one at best) Then there comes the risks of escapees of the modified races interbreeding with the wild gene pool causing potential contamination.

Regardless of color, any modification to "enhance" wild life such as breeding for larger horns, more heat tolerance or even TB resistance creates a troubling scenario: domestication. Once the animal has been considered bifurcated from the wild stock and "domesticated" by man it opens up pandoras box from a hunting ethics standpoint. Examples of battles we will lose: if you breed domestic cows are you not obligated to humanely slaughter them in a swift and painless method since they are now under the control of man and are bred for his benefit? Then why on earth should it be legal to cause "undue suffering" to a domesticated springbok that is melanistic/copper/leucystic/tan/russet by maiming it with a bow and arrow that results in a protracted death? Exactly. When you tamper with nature you then run a moral hazard towards HOW you choose to kill that animal and for what purpose. Dangerous arguments to defend with the public as lines get blurry.

Who sounds more noble?

1.) I'm the custodian of land that we are restoring to support a maximum holding capacity of native, indigenous resources. We can sustainably manage this land and it's wildlife through controlled management of excess stock on an annual basis and the revenues go to continue to preserve this wild habitat and its animals for future generations.

OR

2.) I run a game ranch where we breed unique stripes and spots on our animals to provide a competitive market advantage to people that fly over here to kill odd colored animals we make. We will continue to make more unusual colors and sizes to battle for more client interest in killing these animals. Simultaneously, these animals that have no value to the wild ecosystem are squatting on real estate that would have otherwise been used to hold native, natural wildlife but is instead being used for the concoction of chimera for the pleasure of paying customers.

Number 1 is easy to defend to a moderately anti-hunting individual or a neutral and ignorant member of the public. Number 2 is not easily defensible except under the auspices of "its a free country and its a free market, mind your own damned business".

Namibia has time and again bucked forces of anti-hunters and "commercialized" hunters in equal measure and I believe they are demonstrating very thoughtful policies for the future of sport hunting in the process.

I'll sit back and hear all the hisses and boos now.

I think Namibia will be on the right side of history. Designing color varieties for consumable resources creates a lot of moral problems to the cause of hunting.

What benefit does line bred animal colors have to the wild species? (a tenuous one at best) Then there comes the risks of escapees of the modified races interbreeding with the wild gene pool causing potential contamination.

Regardless of color, any modification to "enhance" wild life such as breeding for larger horns, more heat tolerance or even TB resistance creates a troubling scenario: domestication. Once the animal has been considered bifurcated from the wild stock and "domesticated" by man it opens up pandoras box from a hunting ethics standpoint. Examples of battles we will lose: if you breed domestic cows are you not obligated to humanely slaughter them in a swift and painless method since they are now under the control of man and are bred for his benefit? Then why on earth should it be legal to cause "undue suffering" to a domesticated springbok that is melanistic/copper/leucystic/tan/russet by maiming it with a bow and arrow that results in a protracted death? Exactly. When you tamper with nature you then run a moral hazard towards HOW you choose to kill that animal and for what purpose. Dangerous arguments to defend with the public as lines get blurry.

Who sounds more noble?

1.) I'm the custodian of land that we are restoring to support a maximum holding capacity of native, indigenous resources. We can sustainably manage this land and it's wildlife through controlled management of excess stock on an annual basis and the revenues go to continue to preserve this wild habitat and its animals for future generations.

OR

2.) I run a game ranch where we breed unique stripes and spots on our animals to provide a competitive market advantage to people that fly over here to kill odd colored animals we make. We will continue to make more unusual colors and sizes to battle for more client interest in killing these animals. Simultaneously, these animals that have no value to the wild ecosystem are squatting on real estate that would have otherwise been used to hold native, natural wildlife but is instead being used for the concoction of chimera for the pleasure of paying customers.

Number 1 is easy to defend to a moderately anti-hunting individual or a neutral and ignorant member of the public. Number 2 is not easily defensible except under the auspices of "its a free country and its a free market, mind your own damned business".

Namibia has time and again bucked forces of anti-hunters and "commercialized" hunters in equal measure and I believe they are demonstrating very thoughtful policies for the future of sport hunting in the process.

I'll sit back and hear all the hisses and boos now.

Rookhawk, you've adopted an old lawyer's trick! Take two extremes and you will drive people to the one you like. And given those two options, I agree with you.

But I'd suggest life is rarely that simple. What if the second options was just "I run a game ranch, and I've converted lots of land from intensive agriculture and livestock rearing to wildlife. I have to manage the wildlife, both because this isn't a pristine ecosystem (what is?) and because I need to earn money to maintain this game ranch. In order to not only maintain, but to increase this project, I breed some of the animals, and I breed strong, beautiful animals, rather than weak, sorry ones.

The second option sounds a lot like South Africa today, and it's hard to argue that this model hasn't been successful - both from an animal perspective and from a hunting perspective.

Yes, there are extremes in terms of breeding odd colors, but unless someone is engaging in genetic engineering (gene splicing) - and I've not heard any allegations of that - this is no different than breeding for health, good conformation, big horns, etc. And, as Jerome has noted, who can even decide what a color variant is? Golden gemsbok, for example, and wildebeest occur naturally.

As a hunter I have very little desire to hunt color variations, at least if the price is (a great deal) higher. Having said that, I have, for example, hunted the four main springbok variations, and it gave me a goal, and was fun (coppers were cheaper in those days!).

But regardless of my own lack of desire to hunt these animals, I have no problem if someone else wants to hunt them, just as I have no issue with someone wanting to hunt big whitetail bucks on fenced land, or from food plots.

And, frankly, I don't believe that getting rid of these animals will result in anyone who is currently against hunting coming over to our side, nor will we lose very many, if any, to the other side.

@Hank2211 i don't think we have much disagreement, but to clarify my point because it is nuanced.

I think Namibia has got a "long game" going here. That game is to insure lawful managed harvest of wild resources by sport hunters in perpetuity.

As a hunter, I personally do not like "bred for beauty" game animals for ME, but as I said earlier, I will support it as private property under lawful and humane conditions as none of my business, free country, free enterprise.

But the essence of my point is that RSA breeding and Texas breeding (both on the forefront in breeding in captivity l) are the most at risk of banning in the next 50 years because there are fewer conservation merits to the private enterprise of making unusual or non-indigenous animals for sport hunting.

I'm not anti, I'm just wary. I want us all to be able to hunt for generations to come and I think we're going to get ourselves in trouble. Namibia conservationists may think so too. Not being able to shoot unique, manufactured color phases of animals would be a mild bummer, not having pure habitat and natural genetic stock to hunt for the future would be a travesty.

I'm worried about the travesty. The laws internationally are tilted to treat manufactured animals differently and the humane taking of such animals can be regulated much more strictly than wild animals. (E.g. From the states: Do you want to be governed by USFWS hunting rules or USDA slaughter rules?)

The problem I have is the use of the words export and import. Export and import is how the anti's are winning. If they said they will not support the growing, breeding, hunting, managing etc etc so be it. But I just hate to see import/export as it is the key area that the anti's have been able to really hurt us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you