Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
SA East Cape (‘19) Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
Beautiful gun! That's not an entry level rifle, with its pretty receiver and that pivot mount! I think you are really going to like it. I recently purchased a Merkel 140 too. I am sure you are wondering about the recoil - you will certainly know you pulled the trigger, but it won't hurt you. I recommend using sticks at the range. Its recoil is, to me, less then my 9lb 375 Ruger.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
for fellow Canucks, I bought this one used, from a hunter who planned to use it in Africa but who had a multi-country agenda and who decided permits etc. were just too difficult to arrange. So it was sighted in, practised with a tiny bit, and put in the safe. It was sold originally by Wolverine Supplies in Virden, MB. They really know African hunting and guns, highly recommended!

BC.Pat

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Botswana , Namibia, Sierra Leone
Wolverine Supplies in Virden
Kind of figured that , I've dealt with John and his guys abit over a few years .
He is top notch and stand behinds what he sells, and supports the Canadian shooting community well. Thanks for the clarification. Good hunting!
Cheers
Pat

Mlibizi 8182

AH senior member
Reaction score
For whatever its worth, I think a dbl. in.450- 400 3" or 3 1/4" is one of the most enjoyable rifles to shoot that there is. I think with the woodleigh hydros you will have the (almost) perfect rifle. Congradulations!

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Thanks for all the encouraging words! I think I'm going to like this rifle. I just took it shooting, and used a rest this time. A half dozen shots with factory loads and the Burris Red dot sight and two shots with irons, all at 50 meters. I think it has potential. What sort of groups should I expect? I'm pretty sure I have some work to do on my shooting technique. I'll also need a shorter front sight by the look of the two shots at the bottom.
fullsizeoutput_1473.jpeg

Rock375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Canada, Alaska, RSA, Namibia
Very nice! My next Gun and caliber!! With so many bolt guns in the safe already though , it’s so hard to justify a double. I keep talking myself out of it.

superdutch

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
SA East Cape (‘19) Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
My Merkel shot low too. I shipped it to NECG yesterday to get a lower front sight. I sounds like they have a backlog of a few months, so I will report back when I receive it.

Mlibizi 8182

AH senior member
Reaction score
It looks like Merkel has improved the stock a bit early ones could be a bit hard on recoil in the. 470.

PLM

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, TSRA
Awesome, beautiful rifle. I have always thought the 450-400 would be a nice caliber in a double rifle. Hope you get to use it for what it was built.

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Another group shot today at 50 yds, using Burris red dot sight, Hornady factory loads. I was shooting while standing, resting my wrist on a blanket over a stepladder. Group size is certainly bigger than the rifle is capable of, I'm pretty sure I was wiggling side to side a couple of finger widths anyway. As a "control", using the same technique and shooting a familiar and fairly accurate .22 I shot a 2" group with the same stance and hold. What is a reasonable group size for a double of this type at 50 yds? comments anyone?
IMG_7724.jpg

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
Ivory in your future I see!!
of everything ive yet to do but wont be able to squeeze them in,im completly satisfied and happy with what we have accomplished,the fact that i have my ivory makes it so.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Beautiful rifle, pardon my ignorance but is the 450/400 still a blackpowder charge or have they been converted to smokeless these days?

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Beautiful rifle, pardon my ignorance but is the 450/400 still a blackpowder charge or have they been converted to smokeless these days?
One of the original conversions to smokeless

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
My understanding is that the 450-400 3-1/4" was a blackpowder cartridge, and the modern 3" version was designed by Jeffery for use exclusively with smokeless powder.
from Wikipedia:
"The .450/400 3¼-inch NE conversion was not initially entirely successful, under the increased pressures of the cordite loading the long neck could stick in the chamber causing the rim to pull off at extraction,[2] a problem not encountered under the milder black powder loadings. To counter this, the rim was increased in thickness to .042-inches. W.J. Jeffery & Co further improved the cartridge by reducing the length of the case to 3-inches and moving the neck further forward, creating the .450/400 3-inch NE."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearkill6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh