Merkel Combination Gun For Sale

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I really thought I was going to like this gun but I feel I enjoy my single shot stalkers more. What I have is a Merkel combination gun, I’m assuming pre war but I haven’t been able to verify that yet. The barrels are 16ga (2 3/4) over 7x65r. I will have pictures this evening or tomorrow morning . The gun includes a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x42 on claw mounts. This really is a trim, well balanced, elegant gun but as I said above it isn’t replacing my single shots so off it goes. There is a very small import mark on the receiver but it is professionally discreet. I am looking to get $2900 shipped in the lower 48 USA. I also like trades plus cash for any of the following.
Browning hi power
Browning superposed 20ga solid rib
Single shot kipplauf style rifles
Sub gauge sxs shotguns(preferably English or French bonus if it has external hammers)
Beretta 686 silver pigeon 3 or 4 in any gauge other than 12
Brno zg47
Brno 21 or 22
Remington model 81 in 300 savage or 35rem
Pre war savage 99
Lee speed rifle
Commercial b model Mauser
404 Jeffrey rifles
Winchester model 71
Rhodesian r1 FAL rifle or parts kit
South African r1 FAL rifle or parts kit
Beretta silver pigeon 1 sub gauge
Winchester model 12 in any gauge
Winchester model 1897
Winchester model 43
Brno 465

As I stated above I am fine with partial trades on either end. The best way to get it touch with me is email and I will put pics up this evening or tomorrow. Please PM me for my mail info.

Thank you

upload_2019-9-21_12-48-2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
G’day Ian,

The age of proof will be on the barrel set, usually stamped into the left side of the bottom barrel with a m/yy format.

Don’t think it’s pre war

Just my thoughts on this. Anyone who turkey hunts in hog country should have one of these. Perfect for what shows up. In Texas where you can use a rifle on turkeys, with the right downloading in the 7x65R, you can take that gobbler who hangs up just out of shotgun range. NICE option!

I believe this is known as a Cape gun. Combination shotgun and rifle barrels stacked. In Africa I believe they used it to hunt birds and if an antelope showed up, they were ready. Just what I’ve read.

Just my thoughts on this. Anyone who turkey hunts in hog country should have one of these. Perfect for what shows up. In Texas where you can use a rifle on turkeys, with the right downloading in the 7x65R, you can take that gobbler who hangs up just out of shotgun range. NICE option!

I believe this is known as a Cape gun. Combination shotgun and rifle barrels stacked. In Africa I believe they used it to hunt birds and if an antelope showed up, they were ready. Just what I’ve read.

Nice combination gun. The German’s would call it a Bockbuchsflinte. A Cape gun is typically a SxS configuration. They are used a lot in Germany and Austria where a revier (lease) holder may be as likely to need to shoot a fox or feral cat with a load of number 6’s as a roe deer or boar while sitting on the stand for an evening. Drilling’s are used in a similar fashion.

As @Ridgewalker notes, it would be just as practical here in states where multiple seasons overlap or for turkey where a rifle is allowed.

Dates are usually a three number stamp. Barring anything else I can’t see, I agree with @rookhawk that this one was finished in June of 1969.

Last edited:
I believe it was proofed June, 1969 based on the proofs. Anyone disagree?

Nope I think you are correct as there is a marking of 969. However there are some lettering marks of TGGI next to the Mobile AL import stamp which are likely indicators of the timing of the import. Merkel uses letters for dates on rifles and some shotguns which can become confusing.

Nice gun.

Gun is sold

And the gun is bought! My son needs a turkey gun and loves the 7x64 brenneke rifle he has now. I figure he'll love the 7x65 (7x64 brenneke rimmed) part of this equation also.

Rookhawk, those combination guns are not as popular in the States as they are in Europe. I have a BRNO Super in 12 Ga/7 x 65R. I intended to use mine for deer hunting during rifle season with the 12Ga reserved for suitable targets of opportunity.

OK Rookhawk, you owe us a picture of your son with a turkey!
Congratulations! I think that is going to be a fine combination gun! It should work well for turkey and a night critter hunt in Africa! So when are you going? :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg