Merkel 141 vs Chapuis UGEX? HELP PLEASE!

hoser

Reaction score
Hi all...first post!

Anyone feel the Merkel 141 double rifle is worth the additional price over a Chapuis UGEX? How do these compare in quality, accuracy, ect? :confused:

Also, this would be for 30-06 or 9.3x74R. I'm leaning toward 30-06 due to ammo availability in my state of California which has a ban on mail order ammo coming to fruition in 2011 (which hopefully gets repealed, but hwo knows). :confused:

Thanks.

Personally I see no need for a 30-06 in a double, it really serves no purpose in that caliber..The 9.3x74 is a minimal DG caliber at best.

But to answer your question, I would opt for a Merkel over a Chapuis. I am not a fan of the Chapuis doubles, but thats argueable in some corners.

Sabatti for shure, if you are interested in medium calibers. A modest opinion: forget the 30/06, and if you do not want a 9,3 (very good, but not that easy to manage and shoot), get it in 8x57Jrs, or in 30R Blaser.
With the money you save, you can shift to a Super Luxus Sabatti, or get a pair of 20 mag barrels for training and birdshooting.

The Chapuis and Merkel are about the same quality of gun and would suggest you look at both and decide which fits better. The Chapuis has a longer length of pull and will weigh about 1/2-3/4 pd more, the barrels on the Chapuis will also be almost 2" longer, and in the case of the 9.3 the Chapuis will be regulated with the heavy bullet and the Merkel with the light bullet.
Generally the Chapuis has better quality wood as well as better fit and finish of the wood.
IMO, Both the Merkel and Chapuis are much higher quality gun than the Sabbatti

I got a Chapuis, very happy with than gun in 375 H&H, is not a caliber for that kind of guns, better if you choose a 30 R blaser or 9,3 x74 R, 8x57Rjs, 7x65R, or 375 Flanget, but is the same as a 9,3x74 and you will find easy rounds in your gunstore.
I just get a new express, Laurona Askari in 9,3x74R, from a friend. I went to the shooting range las sunday, perfect shooting with 285 grs. confortable recoil.
I prefer a Chapuis than a Merkel, automatic aperture, modern sistem, library sigts easy to amy the target, and more beauty woods.
Also for the kind of caliber you want, you will find more mounts for scope in Chapuis, at least in Spain.
Sorry about my english, I must study more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg