Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I have been offered a Merkel 140AE in 450-400 Nitro Express 3" that I am considering for a hunt for buffalo and elephant in 2019. It has been fitted with EAW turn in scope mounts, and a Burris fastfire red dot sight. It has shot less than 40 rounds, and appears as new. It has plain wood and simple scroll engraving. It is a private sale in Canada for the equivalent of US $7150.

From those who own Merkel doubles - is that a good $ deal, and are there any tips you can give me about common faults or things to look out for in a used Merkel double? I am used to double shotguns and have owned a couple Merkels but never a double rifle. Any tips appreciated.

longwalker . I would shoot the rifle and make sure that A , It regulates and B , that it doesn't double discharge.

I have seen a number of Merkels double discharge.

Shoot numerous shots with it.

Good luck

Thanks jand. I was told these rifles had interrupting sears to prevent "doubling" - is that not correct information? Also, I need to know what ammunition they are regulated with. The seller says Norma, but I find no reference to Norma ammunition in this caliber when I do a internet search. Hornady and Kynoch are the only two manufacturers that I find. ??

You may have to reload for it. I have one in 470 NE and it was regulated for Federal ammo using Woodlieghs. I got Barnes XCL bullets to regulate and when they no longer made the I tried Hornady and couldn't get better then 3 inch spread at 50 yards, I got Woodlieghs from Tradex and used a load that duplicates the old Kynock load and I get 1 inch at 100 yards. That is a good price for Canada for the rifle I've seen them go for up to $14,000 and never under $10,000.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois