Merkel 140AE 450-400

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by Longwalker, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatchewan Trappers Association, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada ( Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon) USA ( Montana) Germany, South Africa ( E.C)
    I have been offered a Merkel 140AE in 450-400 Nitro Express 3" that I am considering for a hunt for buffalo and elephant in 2019. It has been fitted with EAW turn in scope mounts, and a Burris fastfire red dot sight. It has shot less than 40 rounds, and appears as new. It has plain wood and simple scroll engraving. It is a private sale in Canada for the equivalent of US $7150.

From those who own Merkel doubles - is that a good $ deal, and are there any tips you can give me about common faults or things to look out for in a used Merkel double? I am used to double shotguns and have owned a couple Merkels but never a double rifle. Any tips appreciated.

Pheroze and Odinsraven like this.

2. jand

jand AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Mozambique , Tanzania , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
    longwalker . I would shoot the rifle and make sure that A , It regulates and B , that it doesn't double discharge.

I have seen a number of Merkels double discharge.

Shoot numerous shots with it.

Good luck

3. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatchewan Trappers Association, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada ( Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Yukon) USA ( Montana) Germany, South Africa ( E.C)
    Thanks jand. I was told these rifles had interrupting sears to prevent "doubling" - is that not correct information? Also, I need to know what ammunition they are regulated with. The seller says Norma, but I find no reference to Norma ammunition in this caliber when I do a internet search. Hornady and Kynoch are the only two manufacturers that I find. ??

4. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    You may have to reload for it. I have one in 470 NE and it was regulated for Federal ammo using Woodlieghs. I got Barnes XCL bullets to regulate and when they no longer made the I tried Hornady and couldn't get better then 3 inch spread at 50 yards, I got Woodlieghs from Tradex and used a load that duplicates the old Kynock load and I get 1 inch at 100 yards. That is a good price for Canada for the rifle I've seen them go for up to $14,000 and never under $10,000.

5. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
  6. Doc25

Doc25 AH Member

Hunted:
    Canada

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018

7. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted: