Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
US and South Africa
A safe and happy weekend to all of our Veterans of military service and all active duty military personnel. Thank you!!

A heartfelt thank you and a special prayer for the fallen. Your sacrifice is never forgotten!! We owe you.

Absent comrades.

A traditional Army toast is to “absent comrades“ - to those of the unit who died in the line of duty.

We have a lot of such traditions. At what the Army calls a “dining in“ a separate small table will be set with a place setting, a candle, and an empty chair to represent fallen comrades. At a memorial service (which most of us have attended far too many in recent years) the unit’s senior NCO will call a final role with the deceased soldier’s name last - repeating it three times. It is very moving.

From taps, to firing parties, to presenting the flag to a grieving wife or mother on “behalf of a grateful nation,” Memorial Day carries a lot of emotions for those who have served.

I know all appreciate your initial post.

Very nice. Great traditions and very commendable.

I know it means a lot. Each year I contact all my family members, friends, and families of those lost or since passed for a quick note to say thanks with well wishes. This year I wanted to include those in the AH family. It’s a classy group.

Thank you again for what you’ve done for this country.

To absent comrades!

SFC Christopher Robinson
KIA Afghanistan 3/25/2006

Not Forgotten!

Last edited:
"Rather we should thank God that such men lived"

That line has always stuck me as the proper tone for Memorial Day. I am truly thankful our national has been blessed with those willing to make significant sacrifices to preserve our liberty.

Thanks and God Bless to all that have served and their families .

A traditional Army toast is to “absent comrades“ - to those of the unit who died in the line of duty.

We have a lot of such traditions. At what the Army calls a “dining in“ a separate small table will be set with a place setting, a candle, and an empty chair to represent fallen comrades. At a memorial service (which most of us have attended far too many in recent years) the unit’s senior NCO will call a final role with the deceased soldier’s name last - repeating it three times. It is very moving.

From taps, to firing parties, to presenting the flag to a grieving wife or mother on “behalf of a grateful nation,” Memorial Day carries a lot of emotions for those who have served.

I know all appreciate your initial post.
Thank you @Red Leg for reminding us of the traditions and protocol for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. My first experience with “dining in” was at my sons JROTC Military Ball held annually at his Alma Mater - San Antonio Central Catholic. This year I was honored to be a guest at the 90th Military Ball.

A safe and happy weekend to all of our Veterans of military service and all active duty military personnel. Thank you!!

A heartfelt thank you and a special prayer for the fallen. Your sacrifice is never forgotten!! We owe you.
Well said Randy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois