Melbourne, VIC to Johannesburg with Firearm on Qantas

There is a service starting up in November (think it is Qantas) doing PER-JNB.

Can only hope. Pity it's not a better airline.
But that route makes more sense, same route SAA used to fly.

Then there's the gamble with WA firearm laws ;)

Can only hope. Pity it's not a better airline.
But that route makes more sense, same route SAA used to fly.

Then there's the gamble with WA firearm laws ;)
@Tim Blackwell
Had no problem in Perth, all paper work was fine for rifle and ammo. Perth was easier than Sydney.
Bob

I don't think anyone flys direct from Perth any more?? Syd-Joburg is the only option I believe.
Qantas does , I’m all booked and paid. I only did it because it was actually cheaper and long haul leg is a fair bit shorter in time, also the airport is much smaller then Sydney from memory, although it’s been about 11 years.

Qantas does , I’m all booked and paid. I only did it because it was actually cheaper and long haul leg is a fair bit shorter in time, also the airport is much smaller then Sydney from memory, although it’s been about 11 years.

Cool, they must have just introduced that route, good news. I'm only home 3 weeks snd it wasn't an optional previously.

Dear All,

Thanks for the information. Next time I will take the rifle to the border force in Tullamarine first.

The hunting was really good. Hot as hell in though. The game was quite scittish but the resident PH led us to good places where Marius took over. Bloody cape cobra provided additional excitement.

First day checked the accuracy of the Mauser 98 .416 Rigby. I already sighted it in at Eagle Park Range in Victoria a few months earlier. Still spot on.

Next day wanted to test it on an antelope but both PH wanted to immediately get down to business.
The owner of the property said he had seen a lion guarding a Kudu, however, when we go there was nothing left of the kill. We drove around looking for tracks and as luck would have it saw a lion guarding a fresh kill under a tree. After a lot of maneuvering and a mock charge we got into position. I could not see anything other than the head and glaring eyes looking directly at us. The resident PH told me to aim at the mouth and wait till the lion turned it’s head. Eventually it looked to it’s right and the PH said “shoot!”. I pressed the trigger of the Mauser .416R and the lion gave a grunt and jumped straight up and disappeared in the grass. It looked like a heart shot. We followed and it was lying under a bush about 50m away. PH said “shoot it in the spine!” I fired and it gave a kind if a grunt and was quite. Gosh what magnificent beast it was.

Next day was quiet, then the following days got a Springbok followed by Lechwe, a fine Kudu Bull and then a really nice Cape Buffalo.

With the buffalo I got nervous and the bullet hit lower and more to the right than I had meant. Fortunately it hit a major artery. We waited a few minutes and heard the death bellow. We waited another 15 minutes before the trackers took us to where the buffalo was lying down. Marius touched the eye with his rifle tip and confirmed it was dead.

Today we just went out in the morning and I shot a nice impala for my 3 year old grandson.

Thanks everyone for your generous advice. I really appreciate it.

Best wishes to all.

Dear All,

Thanks for the information. Next time I will take the rifle to the border force in Tullamarine first.

The hunting was really good. Hot as hell in though. The game was quite scittish but the resident PH led us to good places where Marius took over. Bloody cape cobra provided additional excitement.

First day checked the accuracy of the Mauser 98 .416 Rigby. I already sighted it in at Eagle Park Range in Victoria a few months earlier. Still spot on.

Next day wanted to test it on an antelope but both PH wanted to immediately get down to business.
The owner of the property said he had seen a lion guarding a Kudu, however, when we go there was nothing left of the kill. We drove around looking for tracks and as luck would have it saw a lion guarding a fresh kill under a tree. After a lot of maneuvering and a mock charge we got into position. I could not see anything other than the head and glaring eyes looking directly at us. The resident PH told me to aim at the mouth and wait till the lion turned it’s head. Eventually it looked to it’s right and the PH said “shoot!”. I pressed the trigger of the Mauser .416R and the lion gave a grunt and jumped straight up and disappeared in the grass. It looked like a heart shot. We followed and it was lying under a bush about 50m away. PH said “shoot it in the spine!” I fired and it gave a kind if a grunt and was quite. Gosh what magnificent beast it was.

Next day was quiet, then the following days got a Springbok followed by Lechwe, a fine Kudu Bull and then a really nice Cape Buffalo.

With the buffalo I got nervous and the bullet hit lower and more to the right than I had meant. Fortunately it hit a major artery. We waited a few minutes and heard the death bellow. We waited another 15 minutes before the trackers took us to where the buffalo was lying down. Marius touched the eye with his rifle tip and confirmed it was dead.

Today we just went out in the morning and I shot a nice impala for my 3 year old grandson.

Best wishes to all.
@Sjakon
Cam you bring lion skins back to Australia.
Bob

Dear All,

Best wishes to all.
Well arrived in Sydney. Arriving in Sydney was seamless. Border force asked why I did not take back my empty cases for reloading. Very nice guy. No opening the gun case at oversize luggage like in Melbourne. Just swabbed to look at
Dear All,

Best wishes to all.
Well on the Sydney to Melbourne flight. Rifle clearing at Sydney was a breeze. The Border Force officer said I should have brought my empty brass to reload. Asked what I shot. You got a .416 Rigby? So you took the wife’s gun he joked. Never mind about the ammo your taking he said. Went to the Qantas domestic transfer, showed my license and dangerous goods permit, and then got on the jam packed bus to T3.

A little off topic. But I'm planning to be back in Australia in January and then fly back to Tanzania from Melbourne in early February. I'm hoping to bring back another rifle with me when I fly back.
I haven't done this in a long time so I wanted to ask what the process is in Australia in order to Fly out with a firearm. I have the Tanzania side covered, it's just the permits from the Australian side that have me wondering. Any help or advice anyone can provide would be very Appreciated.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!