Meeting other AH members

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
G'day all,
I've just met another member in person.
Before Christmas Opposite Pole seggested a get together in or around Sydney.
As it turns out I was hoping to travel that way and I have regular contact with Bob Nelson .35 Whelen. I said he'll yeah let's make this happen. We made loose plans each having to travel. That all went south with Covid etc and my wife didn't go see grandma either.
I'm in contact with numerous members across Australia and internationally. A few p.m's here and there. A curiousity question, a shared joke or just chat. Some wanting to meet if opportunity presents.
I shared some laughs with late member @brucemoulds who used the same username across several forums if you google him. In every post he wrote as he spoke, honestly in a straightforward manner. I've been assured by those who knew him "That's Bruce" just how he eas
At first we found a common interest in Von Gruff Knives, we talked about Aussie stuff and made fun of the Creedmoor trend.
I'm talking to a few here , hoping to make plans anywhere between New Zealand and Perth, anywhere in between and even America of I can make it. East coast of Australia and South to North I've connected with many.
I actually met Bruce in person and we sat in a Coffee shop comparing Von Gruff Knives. Great conversation, great bloke.
The rest you know or will find in a thread.
Saturday morning I found myself planning a day out at Hahndorf the Old German tourist town near Adelaide where I met Bruce.
Once I confirmed plans to meet kids I messaged a lifelong friend of Bruce who I spoken with last year.
I know he lives in the area and asked if he wanted to catch up, collect on that Coffee I owed Bruce. yep, let me know when your getting close. Cool.
Maybe an hour later I get a message he's there. Well one Market Gardener/Farmer is not hard to spot in a busy place if you live rural.
We chatted for as bit, he had some pictures of a hunt he done with Bruce and absolutely the utmost respect for a family friend he grew up around. Absolute respect for the knowledge Bruce had and shared. Even with his straightforward manner.
Anyway, I appreciate the time many take to have a yarn, chat, a meet or hunting plans.
Y'all talked me into going to Afry, it's not as expensive as you think that said.
I've spent a lot of time here, that's cost me heaps but I reckon it's a good place and great to be in the company of like-minded people. It's even better when you get to meet them.
Some don't say much if they don't have much to add, some are browsers. Some of us will comment on anything but we are in good company.

CBH,

It's like when we meet for our big bore shoots all ,ike minded poeplpe dreamers of dangerous game hunts. One big family and yes not every family is perfect but most of it it just plain fun.

I think we are a few members at BASA although IVW hasn't been to a shoot in a very long time.
Most of them are kinda quiet except for me and DWB.

So CBH if you find yourself again around Joburg let me know.

G'day all,
I've just met another member in person.
Before Christmas Opposite Pole seggested a get together in or around Sydney.
As it turns out I was hoping to travel that way and I have regular contact with Bob Nelson .35 Whelen. I said he'll yeah let's make this happen. We made loose plans each having to travel. That all went south with Covid etc and my wife didn't go see grandma either.
I'm in contact with numerous members across Australia and internationally. A few p.m's here and there. A curiousity question, a shared joke or just chat. Some wanting to meet if opportunity presents.
I shared some laughs with late member @brucemoulds who used the same username across several forums if you google him. In every post he wrote as he spoke, honestly in a straightforward manner. I've been assured by those who knew him "That's Bruce" just how he eas
At first we found a common interest in Von Gruff Knives, we talked about Aussie stuff and made fun of the Creedmoor trend.
I'm talking to a few here , hoping to make plans anywhere between New Zealand and Perth, anywhere in between and even America of I can make it. East coast of Australia and South to North I've connected with many.
I actually met Bruce in person and we sat in a Coffee shop comparing Von Gruff Knives. Great conversation, great bloke.
The rest you know or will find in a thread.
Saturday morning I found myself planning a day out at Hahndorf the Old German tourist town near Adelaide where I met Bruce.
Once I confirmed plans to meet kids I messaged a lifelong friend of Bruce who I spoken with last year.
I know he lives in the area and asked if he wanted to catch up, collect on that Coffee I owed Bruce. yep, let me know when your getting close. Cool.
Maybe an hour later I get a message he's there. Well one Market Gardener/Farmer is not hard to spot in a busy place if you live rural.
We chatted for as bit, he had some pictures of a hunt he done with Bruce and absolutely the utmost respect for a family friend he grew up around. Absolute respect for the knowledge Bruce had and shared. Even with his straightforward manner.
Anyway, I appreciate the time many take to have a yarn, chat, a meet or hunting plans.
Y'all talked me into going to Afry, it's not as expensive as you think that said.
I've spent a lot of time here, that's cost me heaps but I reckon it's a good place and great to be in the company of like-minded people. It's even better when you get to meet them.
Some don't say much if they don't have much to add, some are browsers. Some of us will comment on anything but we are in good company.
@CBH Australia
Chris it would be great if a few of us could get together now and then but as you know and understand distance in Australia is a tyranny.
I'm looking forward to continuing to plan our Bruce Moulds memorial scub bull hunt up the Cape next year. Really looking forward to it and the time spent with friends. Looking forward to seeing how the Whelen performs with 270s @2,500fps. I reckon the will put some serious hurt on those bulls.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
It's the distance that's a pain, the distance takes time. If I can make it up the Cape next year I'm likely to drive as discussed.

I turned 50 last week so I'm keen to do a bit. I was also told take every chance you can to do things as you never know what's around the corner.

Last year I almost got to Western Australia (Covid cancellation). I will go over there ASAP even if it's a short trip. Nearly 25 years since my mate moved there. Plus @Timbo has a trophy room I'd like to see.
I have a few things plans firming up and things are looking up so let's hope we get some hunting happening.
Who knows Bob we might get over your way with the inlaws this year should the wife desire.

Maybe a hunting camp in Africa could be a nice central point for all ausie members to meet? We could work out Ausie deals to celebrate travelling again?

You are all welcome to have a beer when you pass through Harare, I really look forward to meeting you in person. I am there most of the time although with the covid nonsense I got stuck in Jahannesburg for three months last year and missed two of you. So maybe Johannesburg may be a possibility too.

You are all welcome to have a beer when you pass through Harare, I really look forward to meeting you in person. I am there most of the time although with the covid nonsense I got stuck in Jahannesburg for three months last year and missed two of you. So maybe Johannesburg may be a possibility too.
Kevin, If I get back to SA I will be looking you up for sure. We can shop for a Pith Helmet.
A bit planned at present even looking into New Zealand as the wife is keen to go there, the holiday budget is a joint account so she gets a vote.

A few things have fallen into place and I have been hunting with a mate for the last 5 days. This was a meat hunt and due to some technical issues I have not been online.
As it runs out I was invited to hunt on private land in South Australia.
I like to look around when I have the chance so after a morning hunt a day trip was in order.
By prior arrangement I was able to call in on AH member @Tim Blackwell on the Monday. We found Tim in his workshop stitching a cape for a client.
Tim showed us some of his trophies and the work lined up for clients.
Not wanting to take anymore of his time we left in search of Crayfish to a neighbouring town that Tim kindly enlightened us about.
Thanks Tim and I am impressed with your Blackbuck a really nice animal.

@CBH Australia
Chris that's what I love about this forum you can get to meet a lot of great people.
I have had coffee with @Peterwho
Spent time chatting with @K95 and am going hunting next week with @Gerhard. All top blokes and amazing people in their own way.
That is not taking into consideration all the people from the USA and England I am on what's app and talk to. They are a fun bunch of people to talk to.@Hunting Gold and his lovely wife, @BeeMaa and his wife not forgetting the one and only shit stirrer @ Forrest Halley, young Wyatt Smith and @Skinnersblade as well as the lovely gentleman @Shootist43.
The other 2 mad one that are a laugh a minute even tho they are English @Scrumbag and @Norfolk hunter.
They are all amazing people from different backgrounds with different stories that are a pleasure to talk to. I know ther are othes I didn't mention that I keep in touch with but it would take to long to list them. Like our beloved @Dr Ray,@rdog, @425SCHADE and many more.
Bob

Ha or some 270 lover/junkie May try to convert Bob!
emoji4.png
emoji15.png
@Dr Ray
Been there done that. Had a 270 for a while. Very accurate, not bad but I didn't see it doing anything better than my 25. The barrel came out and it became a Whelen ( you know something that actually works).
If you know anyone needing an almost new 270 cal savage/

@Dr Ray
Been there done that. Had a 270 for a while. Very accurate, not bad but I didn't see it doing anything better than my 25. The barrel came out and it became a Whelen ( you know something that actually works).
If you know anyone needing an almost new 270 cal savage/

I have mostly Sakos
Just love ‘em

Last edited:
Wife took a Kudu with a 270WIN Savage Lady Hunter...it was a very accurate rifle.

Apologies...my wife saw this post and asked me to make things more clear.

Taken at 100 yards with a high neck shot using 150 grain Swift A-Frame. Back legs folded on impact and the front followed shortly after. She racked another round into the chamber and told everyone to "shut the F*%$ up...if he moves, he gets another one". All of us stopped celebrating while she steadied the rifle. Kudu never kicked or even twitched again. As we walked up to the game our PH asked me where she was aiming and I told him "high neck". He shook his head and said he would never recommend a client taking that shot. However he did witness her shooting while sighting in where she put 2 rounds (touching holes) dead center at 100 yards a couple of days earlier. Results of a 1.5 years of daily dry fire and weekly range visits. We all stood at her trophy and the PH looked at my now beaming wife and said..."that one's a keeper". I know he was talking about my bride. ;)
1650108882728.png

@BeeMaa once I've made my way around and met a few more Aussies and maybe some Kiwi's I will start saving for a US tour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.