Website
ss.globalrescue.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis
Martin-Lesperance-2_Bugaboos-Sept-3-6-2014-19.jpg

Canadian Martin Lesperance was no stranger to emergency situations. The former firefighter and paramedic had responded to plenty of them in his career. Yet climbing the 6476m Mera Peak in Nepal, Martin found himself experiencing an emergency of his own. Due to the extreme weather, Lesperance had developed frostbite on his feet and fingers.

Three days from the end of his climb, Martin chose not to risk permanent damage by continuing his trip, and decided he needed help from Global Rescue.

Martin provided Global Rescue’s number to his climbing guide, who then used a satellite phone to contact the company.

Global Rescue Medical Operations personnel assessed Martin’s condition and immediately decided that a medical evacuation was needed. Global Rescue arranged a helicopter to transport Martin from his point of injury in Khare (4900m) to Lukla and then to Kathmandu, where an ambulance was waiting to bring him to the hospital.

“It was just incredibly seamless and easy,” Martin said of Global Rescue’s medical transport services. “Everything just worked out so smoothly. I was totally impressed.”

Once at the hospital, Martin received treatment for his frostbite. The Global Rescue medical team coordinated with hospital personnel throughout Martin’s stay, ensuring that his care was appropriate for his condition.

Global Rescue medical personnel followed up with Martin every day after his treatment, monitoring his progress and ensuring that his flight home went smoothly.

Global Rescue was incredible,” said Martin. “I have never experienced a service like it.”

Back home in Canada, Martin continued to recover from his frostbite, even making plans for a future climb – either South America or a return to the Himalaya.

Martin became a Global Rescue member in 2016 after learning about the company’s services from some fellow Canadian climbers who were members. Mera Peak was the first time he needed emergency assistance from Global Rescue.

“I can’t say enough about how well everything went with Global Rescue,” said Martin. “It couldn’t have been better.”

Did you know that mountain destinations attract around 15-20 percent of global tourism and are areas of important cultural diversity, knowledge and heritage? As you plan your next climb, know that mountain tourism has the potential to foster economic development in remote and isolated regions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!