Meat Bison Hunt Late Season

For my bison at the Rockin G, I used a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Load was factory HSM Bear load (I believe spec's are 435 grain hard cast flat nose at about 1800 fps). It wears a 2-7x 36 Redfield scope for sights.
When I arrived, Gizmo took me to his sighting in range to check zero on his 100 yard steel deer target.
You will have an enjoyable visit. Best of luck, @jduckhunter.

I am leaning toward using my 300 H&H

Just last week I had the opportunity to go on a Bison hunt as backup shooter in east central Alberta. I used a 45 70 400gr Swift Aframe in Ruger No. 1. Retired ranch herd bull. You'll have fun.

1611460276954.png

I found a couple of boxes of Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 30 cal. 180 gr. bullets. I think I'll load some of those up in the H&H and try them on bison. What do you guys think?

They should work no problem.

I have seen bison killed with 150 grain .30 caliber bullets out of a 30-06

Should be more than adequate, its a younger bull and a heart shot will do it. A heart shot will let him bleed out and better for the meat. Have fun.

That sounds like a great hunt. What a great chance to use a gun like a Shilo Sharps or Pedersoli in a big bore!!! Have fun and please post pictures and a story jduckhunter

JDuckhunter, let me know when come out. If driving back with the meat we may be on your path home

So after a little chat with Gizmo I decided that I'm going to take my .444 Marlin for bison. It should do the trick as long as I do my part.

Just got the call I've been waiting for, my son got the green light from his wife to go along with me to the Rockin G Ranch and take that other meat bison. It's hard to explain how much it means to me to have him hunting with me again. We hunted together for a lot of years, then he got married, started a family ( his wife is 5 months pregnant with their second child ), moved into a bigger house, got a new job, you guys know the drill. And hunting just kind of took a back seat for a few years. I am just so happy right now, this trip is going to be awesome! If we both connect I guess we will put my F150 to the test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross