Mayday - Magnum Mauser Emergency

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
So I did some additional testing with my new magnum mauser in .375HH and I've run into an issue with the swift a-frame bullets feeding properly.

I'm 3 days away from Safari and would really like to address this if possible.

It appears to me that the standard length follower IS the problem as it shuffles back and forth in the action and seems to push round #2 to the right of the feed ramp with a pointed A-frame bullet causing a jam. (round nose solids are fine)

It appears that Wisner makes a Magnum Mauser .375H&H follower. Wisenerinc.com is out of stock. Brownell's is out of stock.

Does anyone have this Mauser Magnum Floorplate handy that would be willing to ship it overnight?

Dicking around with a rifle 72 hrs from departure sounds like something I would do. I assume you found a round that does feed? Partitions are usually forgiving. Might a different ammo choice be easier within the time line?

Hi @Red Leg yes, you and I both know better and yet here I am. I only found this out because I'm anal and wanted to check rapid load/fire functions with the ammo I intend to use in Africa. It is my backup gun for buffalo so its not the end of the world.

Woodleigh solids and all the other stuff that existed in 1951 when the rifle was made load fine. The pointed stuff with better BCs are problematic at present for rapid loading. I'm probably making mountains out of mole hills anyway because I'd probably only use an A-frame as round 1 in the chamber with solids in 2-3-4.

I wanted to use A-frames and they feed like crap. I'm not terrified because I can make due and I can guide them into the chamber carefully, but I was just hoping I could find this magnum follower as I believe this will resolve the problem with A-frames, the bullet I would most prefer using.

I doubt the follower is the problem, more likely the feed ramp may not like that particular bullet. The A Frames usually have a bit of a flat tip if I recall and that could be hanging up just inside the chamber before it gets all the way in. But like Red Leg says with time short, switch bullets.

Last edited:
As others have suggested, changing bullets is what I would do if I were you. I love the Swift A Frames, so going to something else is not an easy decision.

I've noticed on the Swift website, they have a product line called Swift Blackburn gun metal. They list followers for Mausers. http://www.swiftbullets.com/swift-blackburn-gun-metal-s/1818.htm

upload_2016-7-5_7-27-12.png

3 days ! Time is short. I'd stick with ammo that works and not try changing anything at this stage. Changing hardware could reveal other problems.
I've hunted Zim in '85 with just solids. (An old .303 with ex-mil ammo). Its not impossible to do. Just hit bone or skull.

This is just my $0.02 worth. Possible the problem could be the Magazine Spring is weak. I once had a 1917 Enfield '06 that did the same thing. Can't remember which ammo it happened with, but the gun worked flawless until I cycled the action fast enough. Not knowing any better, I stretched the spring a little and my problem went away.

Keep in mind, I may well still not know any better. Hope you get a easy fix.

Thanks all. I was able to buy a magnum follower and an extra-strength magazine spring today that will arrive before I leave. I'll bring it to Africa and do a number of functional tests before entering the bush. If it fails, I can always go back to the other follower.

You know, I just can't help but look for trouble at the 11th hour! Too many tests looking for a defect. I guess now I have something to do before departure.

You could work up a new load.

Easiest solution will be to shoot an A-frame as first shot and then solids for 2-3-4 in the magazine. Longer magazine follower and stronger new spring to replace the 1951 original may also do the trick and if it doesn't, easiest solution still works and is already tested.

Or I just use my 500 Express double rifle as intended and stop making life difficult for myself!

Paranoia defined: when you're sweating details for your backup rifle 72 hours prior to departure!

LOL. I am not paranoid! Why are you people all against me?

I feel for you & do wish you the absolute best luck.

Wondering how the new follower & spring worked out?

Bought a magnum follower specific to 375HH and bought an extra stiff spring. (Both from Wisners)

Best results were new follower with original spring. New spring was too firm and precluded a 4th round from fitting.

All appears well.

I'm glad you found a solution to the problem.

Thanks for sharing the problem and solution! - Happy Hunting and may you never need shot #2!

If you get a problem again contact me you can borrow one of mine when you are here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!