Mauser 98 smiths - getting scarcer

DB404

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
Life Member NRA
Having a liking for quality Mauser 98s to build rifles on, the latest of which is a wildcat cartridge which was designed back in the mid 90s that is similar to, but predates, the first version of the 6.5 Sherman that was on ‘06 brass. This one, the .265x65 has a .3” neck, 35 degree shoulder and is housed in a G33/40 for antelope, sheep and stuff a ways off.
Getting it to feed has been interesting.
The biggest problem noted is the very few smiths out there, who aren’t in the $40k range with long waiting lists.
Most have retired or passed away, leaving very few that have the knowledge and can do the work.
We need a list of folks who can do the work on Mausers that is kept updated.

DB404 -

This topic - dwindling pool of riflesmiths/Mauser riflesmiths - has surfaced in the past. I have shared some of the dozen or so impediments -
- ENORMOUS entry barrier financially to get a mill, lathe, tooling
- 5 schools in the country to go to for training
- "AFT" striving to make it impossible for you to make a living as a one-man shop
- County zoning idiocies
- All the old hands being gone so one must learn the hard way
- The days of $80 VZ-24s being imported are long gone - it is not financially feasible to overhaul a Mauser - it has to be done because you just want/"need" to do it - a Ruger American costs 1/4 or less what the work on the Mauser will run and shoots as good/better out of the box. Even a Tikka could be had three times for the cost to overhaul a Mauser.

I got on this board to find a connection with those needing riflesmithing work. However, my shop has starved out due to the communist Chinese flu shenanigans, I could only get 2 of 8 classes at Trinidad State, the VA Vocational rehabilitation program was an even larger obstacle to opening the shop than the flu nonsense.

All of that to agree with you on the scarcity of riflesmiths. Then factor in the tastes - some want a work of art Mauser, some want a field rifle. It nears looking for a wife in some cases. One Mauser I worked over attached (First one on the table). Hope this sheds some light while concurring with your observation.
G Mauser - 23OCT21.jpg

What type of stock is that?

It looks like a Boyd's At-One.

Reactions: RTG
My understanding is that there’s a fellow in CO that can fix up a Mauser like nobody’s business. Kevin Weaver, Weaver Rifles. Got his name from the good folks at McMillan. I don’t imagine it’s inexpensive to start on some old milsurp action though, and the smith will likely concur. The Zastavas are a worthy base action, Granite Mountain to build that “bespoke” model. I’ve done one barrel job on a Zastava. No complicated metal or feed work needed. Wouldn’t know where to start.

Stock is an At-One. I have had them take 1 hour to fit, and three hours. I think they are a very good product.

My understanding is that there’s a fellow in CO that can fix up a Mauser like nobody’s business. Kevin Weaver, Weaver Rifles. Got his name from the good folks at McMillan. I don’t imagine it’s inexpensive to start on some old milsurp action though, and the smith will likely concur. The Zastavas are a worthy base action, Granite Mountain to build that “bespoke” model. I’ve done one barrel job on a Zastava. No complicated metal or feed work needed. Wouldn’t know where to start.
Weaver rifles is located not too far east of me. I've spoken with Kevin at a gun show and saw a couple of custom push feed rifles he had built. I mentioned to him the intermittent feeding issues with my CZ Lott and he told me he could remedy that issue. But, I'm sure many smiths will say that. It's good to know McMillan recommended him, because there aren't many choices available with a Mauser action.

Weaver rifles is located not too far east of me. I've spoken with Kevin at a gun show and saw a couple of custom push feed rifles he had built. I mentioned to him the intermittent feeding issues with my CZ Lott and he told me he could remedy that issue. But, I'm sure many smiths will say that. It's good to know McMillan recommended him, because there aren't many choices available with a Mauser action.
Another smith who is good with most anything, and knows Mausers, is Dennis Olson in Montana.

I've been talking with Randy Selby at Randy" Custom Rifles out in WY. I can't give a first hand account of his work because I haven't had any work done by him but his website is full of good info and customer testimonials.

Gary Junk, Arctic Gunworks, North Pole AK.

I am 74 years old. Used to do a fair amount of Mauser work. But now a grumpy old retired fart that got tired of useless gun regulation and silly laws. Gave up the FFL in about 2000.

M70's:

bIcQ918.jpg

I love M98 actions and enjoy working on them. Reliable, well made, easy to work on and look nice when completed.

9.3x62 in work

aC4fdkH.jpg

I have considerable tooling, machinery, supplies, actions/parts and over 120 chamber reamers. Mainly sitting idle as I only work on my guns now.

cXoreuS.jpg

Yep, machinery is expensive!

iT1Ctb1.jpg

61fyd47.jpg

67PCA1R.jpg

grGNJyX.jpg

IkDlknu.jpg

q70o5E3.jpg

wRCIJhD.jpg

Lots of $$$ in these chests and drawers:

ZoSMMXI.jpg

EV0HSEt.jpg

I have thought of selling the shop contents, but when I start totaling up the value of everything it gets scary. Hell there is over $20,000 of tooling in this chest alone!!!!

rMRKlC6.jpg

I would like to find a young gent that wants to enter the custom rifle trade and do some mentoring, but this type of guy does not exist anymore. Complicated by the fact that I live in a remote area. Double complicated as learning the skills takes years, not to mention living as a starving artist. Triple complicated as the value of my shop contents exceeds the cost of a new home on todays market. Not a good endeavor for a young married chap.

I started with this one in the early 1960's.

pd8Fvj9.jpg

We are doomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too true!
It seems like the emphasis of the larger manufacturers these days is to turn gun manufacture into a total machine operation - faster, less material loss, the machines always show up and they’re non union. The Mauser 98 is and was an elegant, simple, well thought answer to the need for reliable repeating rifles, with the bugs already worked out. Real gunsmiths do more than swap parts on black stocked rifles. Before I offend, there are real, creative gunsmiths working on those rifles as well. I guess we’re all anachronisms.
While we still have a few smiths who can regulate a M98, we need to list them and refer clients. Keep them rolling as long as possible.

I am 74 years old. Used to do a fair amount of Mauser work. But now a grumpy old retired fart that got tired of useless gun regulation and silly laws. Gave up the FFL in about 2000.

M70's:

View attachment 445855

I love M98 actions and enjoy working on them. Reliable, well made, easy to work on and look nice when completed.

9.3x62 in work

View attachment 445854

I have considerable tooling, machinery, supplies, actions/parts and over 120 chamber reamers. Mainly sitting idle as I only work on my guns now.

View attachment 445856

View attachment 445860

View attachment 445852

View attachment 445853

View attachment 445858

View attachment 445859

View attachment 445862

View attachment 445864

View attachment 445865

View attachment 445857

I have thought of selling the shop contents, but when I start totaling up the value of everything it gets scary. Hell there is over $20,000 of tooling in this chest alone!!!!

View attachment 445863

I would like to find a young gent that wants to enter the custom rifle trade and do some mentoring, but this type of guy does not exist anymore. Complicated by the fact that I live in a remote area. Double complicated as learning the skills takes years, not to mention living as a starving artist. Triple complicated as the value of my shop contents exceeds the cost of a new home on todays market. Not a good endeavor for a young married chap.

View attachment 445861

We are doomed.

My father in law has the same lathe (and several others including a 10EE), and the same mill. I was hoping to learn from him, but with his failing health it’s a vanishing hope. I know very few machinists (and I work in an injection molding shop), and the youngest of any skill are in their late 40’s…truly a dying art.

Last edited by a moderator:

M70's:

View attachment 445855

9.3x62 in work

View attachment 445854

View attachment 445856

View attachment 445860

View attachment 445852

View attachment 445853

View attachment 445858

View attachment 445859

View attachment 445862

View attachment 445864

View attachment 445865

View attachment 445857

View attachment 445863

View attachment 445861

We are doomed.

I wish I was your neighbor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!