Mauser 98 and 404 Jeffery

One headache I've had has been to figure out what cartridge to chamber in these actions and which ones each. The ones I've always been been dreamed of having has been 404 jeffery, 300 H&H, 9.3x62, 375 H&H. Ok I actually have 4 actions if I include the Mark X whitworth in 25-06, but that one is in great shape as it is.

Easy peasy!
7x57
9.3x62
404 Jeffery

I'm in the process of building the same trio. Not much you can't do with those 3

I busy for a while to work on a .500 Jeffery 3D printing /building project . I completed phase one where I manged to print the bottom metal/trigger guard and magazine box ( assistance of a friend) .This is printed in a magnum configuration /system. I am currently on phase two, casting the 3D print into a silicon mold where a wax item can be made. My friend handed me five wax bottom metals/trigger guards today..I will be taking it to a lost wax cast shop to be cast into steel...with this magnum box/trigger guard /bottom metal I will be able to convert a standard M98 action into a magnum .500 Jeffery action. All the other parts will be 3D printed as well and mold into a silicon mold where wax can be cast into and cast to steel...This project will enable any person to convert a K98 action into a magnum action without too many difficulty..since the magazine opening / magazine box is of magnum size...here is a few photos , the whole process is on a forum I post my threads on..if you are interested in looking at this thread you can pm me and I will provide a link...The 3D print has a upgraded version made for me by another friend:
Cxh3Qdk.jpg

The above image is the first 3D printed to be the master print..the following photos are of this master print
vwYFQX3.jpg
DiNNDIn.jpg
NtgHQvk.jpg

Here are the results of the wax molds I am taking to a lost wax cast shop to be cast into steel so I can continue with my .500 Jeffery 3D technology build project...
a0dIAXL.jpg

I would like your comments on this build...(y)(y)(y)

6wb46VR.jpg
XT7Hlun.jpg
zOsa6PB.jpg

Attachments

• zOsa6PB.jpg
    zOsa6PB.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 229
  • XT7Hlun.jpg
    XT7Hlun.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 244
  • 6wb46VR.jpg
    6wb46VR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 229
  • a0dIAXL.jpg
    a0dIAXL.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 250
  • NtgHQvk.jpg
    NtgHQvk.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 246
  • DiNNDIn.jpg
    DiNNDIn.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 248
  • vwYFQX3.jpg
    vwYFQX3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Cxh3Qdk.jpg
    Cxh3Qdk.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:
Gert,

That is amazing! I am surprised we have not seen a lot more 3D printing like this for bolt action conversions and such, or for parts that are out of production. I have a shop near my brewery that does metal 3D printing, I am considering looking into having 375 H&H length magazine followers for the Winchester 70 made, since factory parts are very hard to find.

Gert,

If I am understanding correctly, the bottom metal you are creating will fit onto a standard 98 action (not magnum), but will allow for the use of magnum length cartridges?

If so, make a spare! I will buy it off of you right away! :)

Great work.. thats an awesome project you have going there!

Mdwest, that is correct..I will show this in the .500 Jeffery build project..but yes, that is the purpose of this project..there are many standard M98 Mauser actions available , I want to convert these M98 standard actions into Magnum actions to use as dangerous game hunting rifle builds ...Give me time to get these wax items cast in steel..I still need to do the magazine box and bottom metal/magazine box lid then I will be able to sell the extra ones to interested buyers...I will let you know when this is completed and ready to be sold to you...(y)(y) Interested buyers can pm me so I can get a count of how many more action conversions is needed...(y)

Gert,

That is amazing! I am surprised we have not seen a lot more 3D printing like this for bolt action conversions and such, or for parts that are out of production. I have a shop near my brewery that does metal 3D printing, I am considering looking into having 375 H&H length magazine followers for the Winchester 70 made, since factory parts are very hard to find.

I think the reason being it is an expensive exercise, not many people have the skills to execute these procedures. I am lucky I have this friend who is extremely knowledgeable and is a gold /silver smith .
We are currently busy 3D printing a magnum (y)(y):LOL::LOL:double square bridge Obendorf Mauser action as well..we will be able to sell an improved Magnum double square bridge action for a reasonable price since our Rand currency is extremely weak..but the USA dollars and British pound will be more than welcome..for you guys it would be a bargain and we will appreciate the dollars...

I promised myself that a 404 would be as big as I go in size of cartridge but you have my attention. Curse this website LOL.
Shawn

Girt, is this the same process used by your friend that already make actions for the 404 Jeffery?

Shootist43, no this is the 3D project on the .500 Jeffery build I am busy for quite a while and is moving to phase two , casting in steel, then I will be progressing to step three , the actual build of the .500 Jeffery, I will 3D print all the sights and Ghost rings /Blenheim sights I want to use on the .500 Jeffery since it will not be scoped ...maybe a nice quarter rib with flip up distance indicators...Johan Greyling made a wax mold of the standard M98 action, we want to do the double square bridge action, a Obendorf action...(y)(y)(y)

Just bought a post WW2 FN Mauser 30-06 commonly called the Model 1950 at auction. I’m quite interested to see what sort of nick it’s in. I’ll also be intrigued to see how the bolt body and receiver compare to my father’s factory sporting Sako sporting FN Mauser in 300 Holland & Holland.
Auction pics attached.

B3845371-4453-40DD-A584-448429D03FA0.jpeg
F8D9E31E-6217-403A-AD7B-0AF16E6C1313.jpeg
EC7E41FE-EC57-49B9-9A28-0A1BF1CFCD21.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg