Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Hi all, I have to choose between a Mauser 7x57 approx. 20 or 30 years old but in good condition and a 7x64 Brno with a hair trigger in fantastic condition. The brno is an extra $200. What do you guys think ?

Would need to see each to offer any worthwhile opinion. Is the Mauser a commercial make or converted K98 military or what?
The BRNO could be the same, or could be a ZKK 600 which is a fine rifle, or a model 21 or a ZG47. We dont have enuf info here.
Just from your description, it sounds like the BRNO is your likely choice.

Hi Nhoro,

To say something I would like to see, at least pictures of, the rifles.
Anyway, a good Mauser in 7x57 would be my first choice.
Good luck!

CF

Can’t argue with Witold’s logic ... but if I HAD to choose one, I’d pick the Mauser in 7x57, because 1. Mauser and 2. 7x57.

If you cant buy both, as a first choice, my second choice would be brno 7x64. Reason - better ballistcs then 7x57, secondly it is true hunting caliber, traditionally developped for hunting, with very good sectional density and high penetration.

I hope that we, the answerers to your question, now deserve some photos of these rifles! ;)

Chambering choice would be 7x64...

I enjoy my 7x57 / 275 Rigby for most everything minus big bear in the United States and all plains game minus Eland in Africa. Ammunition is not super easy to find but absolutely manageable. I have looked at 7x65 but it never filled a true requirement that other rifles could not cover.

Cal choice 7x64. Why?? I have one and use it with a high level of effectiveness on game and on the range. A set trigger is a nice thing for them longer shots too.
I would go with the one that speaks to you.

get the mauser because it does not have a set trigger, and then rechamber it to 7x64 or 280 rem.
that way you would have the best of both.
bruce.

Neither is a bad choice, but the Brno 7x64 for me. Better action, better cartridge. I have three 7x57's and like them a lot, and two 7x64 rifles and like the cartridge a little better. The Brno "with hair trigger" is most likely the Brno ZKK 600 with single set trigger. I have a couple of those rifles, and they are superior to any commercial mauser that I have owned. ( Browning, FN, Husqvarna) If you don't like the single set trigger it is easily and cheaply replaced with a simple direct trigger. Or use it unset. It is adjustable in either case.

- I just had another thought. I forgot about the Brno 21-22 series rifles. If that Brno is a model 21H with double set trigger, it's not so clear which is better. I've owned three of those rifles. None of them could be shot accurately without setting the double set trigger ( "hair" trigger as you put it ) And they don't have a hinged floor plate, and the safety is the type that does not lock the bolt. I really like the lines and handling of those rifles, but unless you want to spend more money replacing and upgrading those parts, they are not superior to a Mauser 98, even when chambered in a slightly better cartridge like the 7x64.

i can't work out why the rifle would not shoot unset, but shoot set.
set triggers have a longer locktime than std, and as such are usually less easy to get best accuracy.
unless the trigger unset was just so bad as to be useless.
this is not the fault of anyone but the manufacturer for not putting a decent std trigger on in the first place.
in a controlled round feed, a swinging floorplate is not so much an issue, as you can unload safely without turning down the bolt handle.
bruce.

You are in Zim, which one can you get ammo the easiest for?
Both are great calibers. In Zim 7x57mm is perfect.
7x64 with heavy bullets just as great.
The straight set trigger is not an issue. Use it as normal trigger if it bothers you or have a smith change it simple task.
200 $ is a lot of extra money....
1st choice for me would be the 7x57mm if the barrel is still good.

So i shot the 7x 57. Factory ammo and i had 3 of 5 shots with a sticky bolt. Primers were all nicely rounded but brass has shiny bits on the base and one case had a split right where the neck and shoulder meet. Something wrong there so decision is made for me.

So i shot the 7x 57. Factory ammo and i had 3 of 5 shots with a sticky bolt. Primers were all nicely rounded but brass has shiny bits on the base and one case had a split right where the neck and shoulder meet. Something wrong there so decision is made for me.
We all have quirks, and if we were the age of that Mauser, you'd have have sticky bolt too. I think you are being hastey, and writing off a nice rifle too easily.

We all have quirks, and if we were the age of that Mauser, you'd have have sticky bolt too. I think you are being hastey, and writing off a nice rifle too easily.
Well I have a second hand car to sell you- one lady driver....
I did say that it split a factory ammo case and had 3 out of 5 shots with a sticky bolt. Sticky so I had to stand up from the bench and hit it with my palm. Oh and it is $850,has about 50 % blueing left and someone used an angle grinder to cut off the scope mount cos it interfered with the bolt.
7x 64 is interesting too- $1000 bucks. Obviously re-blued but well done. Unfortunately it fires as you take the safety off.so gunsmithing needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!