MARTINI-HENRY

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Ive got a real urge for a Martini. Im leaning towards a Martini Henry in 577-455; but Im open. I do want to shoot it and Id really love to hunt with it. Im finding some guns in "reasonable" condition and lots in horrible condition. YES Id have a gunsmith check it out first and keep my loads at safe levels.

Ive also seen Greener actions in 12ga and 45-70.

Any thoughts? Caliber suggestions? Anybody actually hunted with one/what game/distances/loads?

Ive got a real urge for a Martini. Im leaning towards a Martini Henry in 577-455; but Im open. I do want to shoot it and Id really love to hunt with it. Im finding some guns in "reasonable" condition and lots in horrible condition. YES Id have a gunsmith check it out first and keep my loads at safe levels.

Ive also seen Greener actions in 12ga and 45-70.

Any thoughts? Caliber suggestions? Anybody actually hunted with one/what game/distances/loads?

Hello EDELWEISS,

The unaltered "Martini" that I fired several times at 100 yards (only a paper target), with hand loads was shockingly accurate.
It was in the original British Empire caliber, from the Anglo-Zulu War times, (".450 Boxer" ? or perhaps it was - ".577/.450 BP" ?)
But, I can't recall which the owner called it or, what the markings indicated any more (I'm getting old).
Anyway, I believe the powder we fired in it was "Trail Boss".
The bullets we fired were cast from wheel weights but, I do not recall what they weighed, just that the rifle owner said his mold was designed to duplicate the original weight and shape of the issue bullet.
Seems like he said the velocity was around 1300 fps?

At any rate, recoil felt about the same to me as the .45-70 does, with 405 gr bullet at about 1300 fps.
It was very tolerable, even with metal butt plate.
I have successfully hunted deer on Kodiak Island with the above .45-70 load and would happily use the described .450 Martini rifle and load as well for that type of hunting here.
Likewise, I would happily use the "Martini" for all species of African antelopes and warthog/bush pig, within reasonable range for this cartridge (roughly under 200 yards).
The Limpopo District of South Africa seems like it would be perfect conditions for same (thick woods/bush - not many long shots happen there compared to more open foliage places.)

The tilting block design of the Martini-Henry (The Peabody and The Savage Model 99 as well) is extremely strong, provided the steel used is high quality and properly heat treated.
Therefore, it is potentially safe for building rifles on it, chambered in relatively powerful cartridges.
The stone in your porridge is that some were made in questionable locations (copied in "mud hut conditions", including counterfeit proof marks).
Therefore, it is imperative to have a far-better than average Gunsmith thoroughly check your rifle, prior firing it, even with only the original black powder ballistics, much less before re-barreling it to some other caliber.

Well anyway, stay safe with your "time machine" as I affectionately refer to antique firearms (I am quite fond of them indeed).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
We are fortunate here in New Zealand in that there are none of the tribal area home built actions as everything is from the English gunmakerts so we can have confidence in the marking and tthe resulting rifles.
I have built a few martini's with one in 577-450 and others in 303 and would have no hesitation in using them for hunting up to the capability of the cartridge involved.
My 577-450 is one I built a new stock for but the barrel is possibly the best barrel I (or many other here) have seen and will plonk bullet after bullet into a smal enough area that would give hunting confidence.
A 465gn paper patched bullet over 20gn green dot makes for an excellent load

I did have to make a case to carry it though as none of the off the shelf hard cases would take the 32 in barrel

Or you could do a sporting rifle in 303 which would make for a grand plains game cartridge

Attachments

• Photo0974_zpsfdf3f2ba.jpg
    Photo0974_zpsfdf3f2ba.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Photo0962_zps4d98d89f.jpg
    Photo0962_zps4d98d89f.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Photo2374_zpskyky4oic.jpg
    Photo2374_zpskyky4oic.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Photo2452_zpskjndlkk3.jpg
    Photo2452_zpskjndlkk3.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 543
  • Photo0960_zps51f8747a.jpg
    Photo0960_zps51f8747a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,037
Last edited by a moderator:
Even the military styled Martini Enfield carbine makes for a great little rifle although many have been badly sporterised and need some restoration

And accrate enough to head shoot a deer at 150yds

Attachments

• Photo0887_zps81b62541.jpg
    Photo0887_zps81b62541.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 778
  • Head shot_zps2aomimyh.png
    Head shot_zps2aomimyh.png
    958.2 KB · Views: 543
  • Photo0834_zps1e71f4b3.jpg
    Photo0834_zps1e71f4b3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 520
I just bought a Martini that has been converted to 45-70. Its supposed to be a good shooter.
pix803890344.jpg

My "plan" is to ditch the modern scope and add irons or maybe a more traditional optic.

Attachments

• pix803890344.jpg
    pix803890344.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 367
I make aperture sights for mine so that the originality of the action is not compromised. Replace the two through bolts with longer 1/4 in bolts, reconfigure the head and it is a simple replacements for the originals.

I have kept a pattern for the arm if anyone wants to do the same.

Attachments

• Photo0967_zps482b0e3d.jpg
    Photo0967_zps482b0e3d.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 423
  • Photo0966_zps5a05182d.jpg
    Photo0966_zps5a05182d.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 358
Even the military styled Martini Enfield carbine makes for a great little rifle although many have been badly sporterised and need some restoration

And accrate enough to head shoot a deer at 150yds
I am late to the party by only 7yrs but damn I'd love to have this rifle. It seems finding the perfect Martini-Enfield to build on is getting to be a unicorn here in the States. I don't want to destroy an original but the sporters are too far gone! Anyways very awesome builds! I would love that rear sight design if you still have it after all these years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg