Marlin being sold to Ruger by Remington

Good morning Forrest - I always enjoy your posts and the one above deserves some feedback:

Last, but not least, my big bore guns were all tried and proven at a range before being shot at game. When eying an animal at an unknown distance and then making the shot, it pays to know your rifle well.
Others in my party said this buck was from 200 to 350 yards out (guides rangefinder said 345 yards). My M70 .308 said hold for 250 and shoot; bang and down it went. Stepped of 235 yards. Be on very good terms with your rifle! Estimating distances can be a challenge on the high plains
Hello Charles,
I have always enjoyed the higher power levels. I remember mastering the .30-06 when it was a heavy recoiler and I was a lightweight shooter of 70 lbs. I grew into it and it's now a non issue. I still enjoy the .375 as it is a great middle ground between power, ballistic optimization, and recoil. I am very happy about progressing from 25 yards to 50 yards with the .458 Lott. I hope to be able to shoot out to 100 yards and beyond offhand well at some point. The first shot is not the problem, but the follow up is definitely a challenge. I wonder how well most folks are able to do so with the big bore rifles without the aid of a rest. I really feel like that is a skill set that is undernourished by most shooters and excused away instead of putting in the hard work.

Hello Charles,
I have always enjoyed the higher power levels. I remember mastering the .30-06 when it was a heavy recoiler and I was a lightweight shooter of 70 lbs. I grew into it and it's now a non issue. I still enjoy the .375 as it is a great middle ground between power, ballistic optimization, and recoil. I am very happy about progressing from 25 yards to 50 yards with the .458 Lott. I hope to be able to shoot out to 100 yards and beyond offhand well at some point. The first shot is not the problem, but the follow up is definitely a challenge. I wonder how well most folks are able to do so with the big bore rifles without the aid of a rest. I really feel like that is a skill set that is undernourished by most shooters and excused away instead of putting in the hard work.

I’ve only needed fast follow up with my Lott once. That was using the original Hornady DGX ammo on a buff in Moz. Probably the adrenaline at work, but I emptied that rifle into a softball sized group at 25 yds as fast as I could cycle the bolt. I doubt very much that I could do that on the range.

I never shot a Lott.
But before my 1895 .405 buff hunt I shot it a lot. Got to where I could put 5 rounds into 6 inch black pistol bull off hand as fast as I could work the lever. Figured I was ready for Africa again. Fortunately my PH and trackers put me behind and within 20 yards of my buff and it was an easy shot.

A little inside info; a friend had convinced me to load the .405 with 400 grain Woodies as opposed to the usual 300 grain bullets. That way the buff would think it had been shot by a 450/400. :)
He also taught me a three shot drill off the sticks so I would be ready with a second and third shot if the buff did not drop in its tracks like a deer. The drill was a good confidence builder and though not needed, I used it in the field. As my first shot went through the heart and out between the front legs, I was reloaded when the buff kicked its rear leg and slowly walked toward the cover. Having already decided on a stopper, my next shot went through the pelvis and dropped the big booger to the ground with a loud crash and bellow. Still not quite dead, but the game was over.

Last edited:
I can slam home three full power rounds into about six inches at 50 yards off hand standing as fast as I can feed the rifle. I would like to be able to better manage the recoil to do six shots without getting flinchy. I would also like to be able to slam the second shot in rapidly at 100 meters or more and hit an eight inch gong on demand with pairs of shots. At that point nothing can escape the wrath of the Lott.

I can slam home three full power rounds into about six inches at 50 yards off hand standing as fast as I can feed the rifle. I would like to be able to better manage the recoil to do six shots without getting flinchy. I would also like to be able to slam the second shot in rapidly at 100 meters or more and hit an eight inch gong on demand with pairs of shots. At that point nothing can escape the wrath of the Lott.

If you need fast follow up with the Lott, the range will likely be quite close unless it’s a going away raking shot on a departing critter. It sounds like you’re already miles ahead of the crowd in rifle prep.

Just to plant a thought, when I’m prepping for a hunt I hump my rifle up and down the hill at the back of our farm every morning. It’s a tough 45 minute push. I end the hike on my range where I put three shots downrange fast on the 100 yard gong. I use shooting sticks. This is the best I can do to simulate a tough hunting situation.

I gave Remington/Marlin another chance and bought a 700 and another 30-30. The Rem bolt 30-06 shoots tight groups with the right ammo. The 30-30 stainless was a lemon with a warped barrel. However after persistent efforts on my part, Marlin eventually did a great thing. They replaced my 30-30 with a new rifle that shoots uncommonly tight groups . Quite frankly tight groups you would not expect a lever action to shoot. So I ended up very happy. Be nice to see them nail down long term , quality ownership.

If you need fast follow up with the Lott, the range will likely be quite close unless it’s a going away raking shot on a departing critter. It sounds like you’re already miles ahead of the crowd in rifle prep.

Just to plant a thought, when I’m prepping for a hunt I hump my rifle up and down the hill at the back of our farm every morning. It’s a tough 45 minute push. I end the hike on my range where I put three shots downrange fast on the 100 yard gong. I use shooting sticks. This is the best I can do to simulate a tough hunting situation.
This is solid advice. I will have to see what I can do to replicate this on flat land. I have a 2.5 mile road loop I could do that I'm sure would be the talk of the town with my safari rifle on my shoulder.
I gave Remington/Marlin another chance and bought a 700 and another 30-30. The Rem bolt 30-06 shoots tight groups with the right ammo. The 30-30 stainless was a lemon with a warped barrel. However after persistent efforts on my part, Marlin eventually did a great thing. They replaced my 30-30 with a new rifle that shoots uncommonly tight groups . Quite frankly tight groups you would not expect a lever action to shoot. So I ended up very happy. Be nice to see them nail down long term , quality ownership.
See that right there is the problem: not expecting anything but mediocre from the lever action rifle. Surely it is not a ballistic match for a .30-06 or a .375 H&H. The tubular magazine which is prevalent assures that. However the rifle should be a rifle and a rifle should be accurate. We are not stamping them out to arm child soldiers and illiterate conscripts. The .30-30 is a thing of beauty in that it has a desirable amount of energy to kill a deer out to 200 yards, but I don't have to worry about it going on forever more. It is not obnoxious in recoil or blast except when chambered in a T/C Contender so it is the perfect round for the seasonal hunter that is of modest means and requires an accurate solution that doesn't require much in return to maintain proficiency. The problem is that these folks are not usually one to make a fuss if the rifle isn't as perfect as it should be. If the 24" Marlins were coming off the line Anschütz accurate every home would have one and ARs would be the trash they are and lie in their soulless corner of the safe where they deserve to be. Unless you are into that sort of thing...

I wasn’t sure about lever actions. Then I bought a Chiappa 1892 takedown Alaskan ... irritatingly fun to shoot and load for...

I hope marlin finds a good home with Ruger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!