Marlin being sold to Ruger by Remington

Forrest Halley

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
With this happening I am left to wonder about the quality control. Surely it should improve again and maybe we can have an American made lever action rifle that is worth writing home about. I surely don't know what caliber I'd buy other than maybe a .357, but it sure would be nice to go out a support them in their new endeavor.

I like to think it could be an improvement in quality. I own 4 lever rifles that are pre-Remington (1980-2009), although I've read the 2009 models had Remington influence. I have 1 "Remlin", a 1894 in .45 Colt. The wood is not the most attractive, but function is fine and accuracy is satisfactory. I'm not sure what else I would buy except for a 1894 in one of the .32's (.327 Federal Mag or .32-20). My 1894 in .357 Mag is a favorite to shoot with family and friends.

With this happening I am left to wonder about the quality control. Surely it should improve again and maybe we can have an American made lever action rifle that is worth writing home about. I surely don't know what caliber I'd buy other than maybe a .357, but it sure would be nice to go out a support them in their new endeavor.
What is wrong with Henry for an American made lever rifle? I haven’t shot one, but picked them up more than a few times and seem like quality guns

What is wrong with Henry for an American made lever rifle? I haven’t shot one, but picked them up more than a few times and seem like quality guns
I think it's mostly a matter of preference. I myself prefer Marlins. First centerfire rifle I got to shoot was my older brothers Marlin 336 in .30-30. Second was a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. I had a Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt, pretty gun but heavy for that cartridge. A buddy wanted it more than I did, he is a Henry fan, so I sold it to him after I got my Remlin. That Henry rifle was limited in bullet weight to 270 grains, an OAL thing with the mag tube and cycling.

I'd love to have a marlin 1894CB in 44 Mag.. I have just been unwilling to buy a Remlin..

If Ruger manages to get QA/QC under control and keeps that model in the line up.. I'd buy one..

Interesting. It will be interesting to see how they market the model 60 against the 10/22. Historically the 60 has always been significantly cheaper (and better I may add) :A Popcorn: I assume they are going to let that be the entry level rifle and put their 10/22 on a pedestal.

As to the 336, I would have a hard time buying a lever action with an additional safety. I suppose I could permantly glue it the fire position but its the point. I have not considered one since the prior takeover because quality was so poor. Now that I have a 308 browning blr I don't need a marlin. But if quality control improves they should continue to dominate the market and take away from what henry has gained as imo they are overpriced for what you get.

It is good to see the name and products live on, if nothing else so existing guns can be serviced.

I got a Marlin 1897 Texan 22LR. It was made in 2002 which I understand was before Marlin was purchased by Remington. It is very well made and quite accurate even for a two-piece stock lever action. I read that the quality has dropped but I'm not familiar with newer Marlins. My concern with Ruger taking over production is that Ruger is heavily into cast production while the older Marlins are formed by forging. I don't know that it makes a lot of difference in use but I'd prefer having a rifle made the old fashioned way in a forge.

Ruger has its own issues regarding QC. They stand by their products if in current production, but there have been many buyers of revolvers recently that had to sent their new pride and joy back to the mothership for various problems.
Ruger wont even talk to you about repairs unless its a current production item. Need a repair on an old model 77 rifle, forget it. They will tell you to seek a gunsmith.

I like to think it could be an improvement in quality. I own 4 lever rifles that are pre-Remington (1980-2009), although I've read the 2009 models had Remington influence. I have 1 "Remlin", a 1894 in .45 Colt. The wood is not the most attractive, but function is fine and accuracy is satisfactory. I'm not sure what else I would buy except for a 1894 in one of the .32's (.327 Federal Mag or .32-20). My 1894 in .357 Mag is a favorite to shoot with family and friends.
@Trogun
Love my little Winchester model 92 in 32/20 as a fun gun. Cheap to run and easy to shoot. That curved but stings a bit with full house 100 grainers at 2,100 fps.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
I sincerely hope they keep the sweet little 39A 22 lever. It's the sweetest shooting accurate 22 lever I have ever used. It's a pity my mate wouldn't part with it
Bob

@Trogun
Love my little Winchester model 92 in 32/20 as a fun gun. Cheap to run and easy to shoot. That curved but stings a bit with full house 100 grainers at 2,100 fps.
Bob
Bob that sounds like a fun rifle to shoot. I'd love to have one of those just to plink at tin cans.

I'm super excited to see where Ruger goes with this, every Ruger product I have owned has been nothing but quality! Maybe they bring back the 1894SS 44 mag JM used to make before Remmington bought Marlin and turned everything to crap............

@Forrest Halley
I sincerely hope they keep the sweet little 39A 22 lever. It's the sweetest shooting accurate 22 lever I have ever used. It's a pity my mate wouldn't part with it
Bob
They will have to make that gun. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

I'd talk you out of that .32 for sure...if I were in Oz.

I have three old Marlins. My very first rifle was a 39A. talk about accurate, I carried a 98 Prone average with it. The guys at my Uncle's club let me shoot it as long as I loaded only one round at a time. The second one was in 30 Cal. you know the one Uncle Sugar issued 110 Gr projectile and all. It too is very accurate out to 100 yds. or so. The third is a Model 336 in 35 Remington it has a Williams 94-36 Aperture rear sight with a Green Fiber Optic front sight. I use it on White Tailed Deer and Hogs. It is great out of a tree stand. They are just like my music, "Oldies but Goodies."

I love how folks talks about an accurate rifle and how it's different every time. A target shooter talks about a gun that parks projectiles in one hole out to a distance he cannot see the hole. A hunter talks about a gun that holds hits on the game out to whatever distance he can close to. The big bore shooter talks about a gun he can keep the powerful rounds on a paper plate at twenty five yards with. The small bore shooter talks about "hitting" a target he can still see before the bullet flat runs out of energy. I have been every one of them and the joy of each is why we ended up with a safe full of them.

Good morning Forrest - I always enjoy your posts and the one above deserves some feedback:

Paper plates - one of my favorite quick draw targets when playing with a S&W DA revolver. Sometimes the old police drill of 2 shots and then move on to the next plate. A piece of cake at 25 yards and less since I grew up doing a similar drill with used soda pop cans- one shot each.

Accurate rifles - I am only concerned until I am convinced they are ready to hunt; then it is all about hitting the game as best possible, knowing the rifle will do its job if I do mine.

Last, but not least, my big bore guns were all tried and proven at a range before being shot at game. When eying an animal at an unknown distance and then making the shot, it pays to know your rifle well.
Others in my party said this buck was from 200 to 350 yards out (guides rangefinder said 345 yards). My M70 .308 said hold for 250 and shoot; bang and down it went. Stepped of 235 yards. Be on very good terms with your rifle! Estimating distances can be a challenge on the high plains

58118_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Forrest - I always enjoy your posts and the one above deserves some feedback:

Paper plates - one of my favorite quick draw targets when playing with a S&W DA revolver. Sometimes the old police drill of 2 shots and then move on to the next plate. A piece of cake at 25 yards and less since I grew up doing a similar drill with used soda pop cans- one shot each.

Accurate rifles - I am only concerned until I am convinced they are ready to hunt; then it is all about hitting the game as best possible, knowing the rifle will do its job if I do mine.

Last, but not least, my big bore guns were all tried and proven at a range before being shot at game. When eying an animal at an unknown distance and then making the shot, it pays to know your rifle well.
Others in my party said this buck was from 200 to 350 yards out (guides rangefinder said 345 yards). My M70 .308 said hold for 250 and shoot; bang and down it went. Stepped of 235 yards. Be on very good terms with your rifle! Estimating distances can be a challenge on the high plains

View attachment 370450
@crs
Sage advice being on very good terms with your rifle. That way you know it and your own capabilities, and have faith in both, make for a less disappointing hunt.
Bob
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross