Marlin 336 Overhaul

Stock work is a good start, though. The cash outlay is minimal and risk (liability) also quite small.
I have started doing some of it. I also just bought a sandblaster and die grinder for metal work and a TIG welder just because both of them are infinitely useful for my own stuff as well. Now I just need a Metal Lathe and Milling machine of my own. (y)

Great work those old rifles deserve saving, love to see the finished project.
Thanks! I am still working on my whitworth .458. I will post some pictures when it is up and running after checkering is complete.

Nice work. Like the rust blue setup. I plan on building something similar for the two blackpowder projects that are waiting for me to finish the stock for my 400 whelen.

Nice work. Like the rust blue setup. I plan on building something similar for the two blackpowder projects that are waiting for me to finish the stock for my 400 whelen.
Yeah, rust bluing really is easy if it is done right and it produces one of the most enviable finishes in all the gun world. It can be done in a tiny corner of your basement. There is something about the soft black. It is very easy to recognize rust blue vs any other finish and it is nigh impossible to fake that soft, quality luster

Super Nice Work Sir, I think you have found another calling.

JP

Very nice work. A friend in SC just rust blued a Marlin 375 that was a truck gun. He built a steamer for it much like yours. I think yours might have come out better. He got the rust blue solution from a Low Country gunsmith who specializes in rust blue.

Very nice work. A friend in SC just rust blued a Marlin 375 that was a truck gun. He built a steamer for it much like yours. I think yours might have come out better. He got the rust blue solution from a Low Country gunsmith who specializes in rust blue.
Thanks! It comes down to how many coats you apply, humidity, and what it is carded off with. It also depends on the steel. Really low carbon steel doesn't take too well. I think this was about 12 coats. Then a week long oil bath in WD40 darkens it a little and cures it. Then a coat of carnauba wax preserves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg