Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
Any love for the short Mannlicher carbines with double set triggers? Here we have a newly acquired Waffenwerke Brunn Mannlicher 7x57 with it's little brother M/S 1903 carbine 6.5x54. I would like to find a big brother 9x57 to go with them.

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9840.JPG

Those are nice, I like the double set triggers on non-dangerous game rifles, & the classic teutonic look of the full stock. How do they shoot? I’ve always been resistant to the full stock setup only because of potential accuracy issues with the wood sitting along the barrel its entire length.

Beautiful rifles!

I find many of them to shoot MOA or less. The problem is seeing the very fine iron sights. Not the rifles' fault!

Any love for the short Mannlicher carbines with double set triggers? Here we have a newly acquired Waffenwerke Brunn Mannlicher 7x57 with it's little brother M/S 1903 carbine 6.5x54. I would like to find a big brother 9x57 to go with them.

View attachment 456964
View attachment 456965

Is that the same 7x57 that was for sale on another forum recently?

If so, I am so jealous. Well, I'm jealous regardless, but those are both great firearms. Congrats.

That's correct. Seller is a good man. I was glad to pick it up from him. Thanks! If you get a chance to handle one of the little carbines, take advantage of it. They handle very quickly like a good shotgun.

Reactions: CJW
Just out of curiosity what is the barrel length on the top one (longer one)?

20" on the 7x57. The 6.5x54 is 18.5" if I remember right.

I’m a huge fan of the 7X57.
Me too. I'm fascinated reading about WDM Bell aka Karamoja and his work with the 7x57...many hundreds of elephant and buffalo. I think on elephant he averaged 1.5 shells per kill with the 7x57. He was a real student of anatomy and knew the brain shot from any angle. Impressive man with the little rifle.

Those are nice, I like the double set triggers on non-dangerous game rifles, & the classic teutonic look of the full stock. How do they shoot? I’ve always been resistant to the full stock setup only because of potential accuracy issues with the wood sitting along the barrel its entire length.
Actually, upon close examination, the barrel is free floating in the stock. On my M1910, you can easily slide a dollar bill between the two. Stock ammo from Dorfner yields about one MOA from the 19 inch barrel, and I'm about to go on a reloading effort to tighten that up. Questions in the reloading forum to follow...

20" on the 7x57. The 6.5x54 is 18.5" if I remember right.
6.5x54 is actually 17.7”. I have a 9x56 model 1905. I hunt deer and hogs with it using 200 and 250 grain round nose bullets. My rifle is a 1.5 to 2” shooter. Have not had to use more than one round so far and all but one large hog died within sight of the shot. Great rifles. It is my favorite still hunting rifle. Congratulations on a great looking pair.

I forgot it was shorter than 18". It's a really compact rifle but incredibly proportioned. It feels even better than it looks. I looked a long time for a nice 1903 and found this one at the Beinfeld show in Vegas. Even at that amazing vintage gun show, it was the only one there.

If you haven't read Ross Seyfried's article on the 6.5 Swede in Guns & Ammo, Feb '91, you should find a copy. The 1903 M-S is one of his fav rifles.

What kind of safety is on that 7x57. Is it a Mauser 98 action?

The 7x57 is a A.G. Zbrojovka Brno action by Waffenwerke Brunn.

Fantastic rifles Green Chile! I am also very fond of them.....Model 1908

29DB416A-BA8D-4CFC-8F4E-60C46DE57D99.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Chile, I'll say one thing for you, you have good taste when it comes to rifles.:giggle::giggle:

Tell us more about the 1908? Looks fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you