Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
U.S. Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest & Limpopo
Has anyone hunted a management elephant in South Africa? If si can you bring anything back?

Back to? The US?
If the USFWS does not continue to extend the ban to every country on earth you should be fine to import your Elephant.

Whether you can export your trophy or not would depend on whether a CITES tag has been issued to hunt the elephant or if a permit was issued to hunt a problem elephant.

Trophies hunted on PAC permits are usually not exportable. A limited number of CITES tags are issued annually. Most Outfitters who have access to such tags will use these tags to sell trophy elephant hunts - not management elephant hunts.

Trophies hunted on PAC permits are usually not exportable. A limited number of CITES tags are issued annually. Most Outfitters who have access to such tags will use these tags to sell trophy elephant hunts - not management elephant hunts.

Makes sense.

Did some more digging and management/non trophy elephants from SA are not exportable as I and everyone else suspected. Bulls must have ivory 35lbs or less to qualify. Has anyone had experience with .375 on elephant? Any suggestions on 350 grain Solids or Barnes in same weight?

In 375 H&H on elephant I have used Federal 300g Woodleigh Hydrosolids. (grouped well out of my rifle. not sure great groupings are needed with the distance shot) Seemed to work okay when bullet is placed where it is supposed to be.

Ask your PH what he recommends. My PH said any quality solids works fine. In looking at the ammo he used, he had 3-4 different brands. Probably whatever the hunters left behind.

If you are bringing your tusks back, Namibia and RSA are your only options. If you are going for a management hunt you can add Zimbabwe and Mozambique to your list. Tanzania too if you want but the prices will go up dramatically.

Let us know what you come up with.

All the best.

Did some more digging and management/non trophy elephants from SA are not exportable as I and everyone else suspected. Bulls must have ivory 35lbs or less to qualify. Has anyone had experience with .375 on elephant? Any suggestions on 350 grain Solids or Barnes in same weight?

I've had a few experiences with Barness 300gr solids in .375 on elephant. All these experiences were good when shot placement was good.

I was told a 300gr Barness TSX in .375H&H would shoot through a buffalo.... Well, I've seen buffalo shot with .375 and with .458 Lott using TSX bullets and we recovered bullets every time. Yes, the bullets were usually recovered on the far side of the animal just under the skin but they did not exit so they did not "shoot through" the animals...

Chance of shooting through an elephant with a Barness TSX if if won't shoot through a buff are slim in my opinion. Personally I would not choose anything other than a solid on elephant.

Regards,

Interesting! I did not realize some elephants from SA are not exportable to the USA.

Can a foreign hunter even do a legal PAC hunt in South Africa?

Interesting! I did not realize some elephants from SA are not exportable to the USA.

It is only when it is an elephant without a CITES permit that it is non exportable, as far as my knowledge goes these PAC hunts may not be done by foreign hunters.

It is only when it is an elephant without a CITES permit that it is non exportable, as far as my knowledge goes these PAC hunts may not be done by foreign hunters.

That's interesting. I wonder why they wouldn't want someone to pa to shoot a PAC animal, even at a reduced price from a trophy animal? I assumed they did? Do they allow SA hunters to shoot PAC, or must it be a professional/ranger?

Thank you Pieter for clarification.

That's interesting. I wonder why they wouldn't want someone to pa to shoot a PAC animal, even at a reduced price from a trophy animal? I assumed they did? Do they allow SA hunters to shoot PAC, or must it be a professional/ranger?

SA hunters are allowed to hunt these.

:S Bs Flag:There have been plenty of discussions before on these PAC elephant and leopard hunts..........

Outfitters coming to the USA and selling them. I have seen hippo too.

That's interesting. I wonder why they wouldn't want someone to pa to shoot a PAC animal, .........................?

A true problem animal is likely a transient that is coming onto a property and actually causing damage or threatening someones life or property NOW. and requires an immediate remedy.
Not a hunt to be promoted to an International hunter that will show up sometime in the future.

I assumed they did?
This is how the con men are able to get buyers for the "rogue" Elephant, "aggressive" Rhino and "Botswana Raiding" Lions.

Do they allow SA hunters to shoot PAC, or must it be a professional/ranger?

(Remember, every province in RSA has legislation. This is ONE example from Limpopo.)

Damage Control.jpg

A true problem animal is likely a transient that is coming onto a property and actually causing damage or threatening someones life or property NOW. and requires an immediate remedy.
Not a hunt to be promoted to an International hunter that will show up sometime in the future.

This I get. I just assumed, wrongly it appears, that if the issue came up while I was there I could "buy it." I understand that it wouldn't be held for me to deal with in three months.

Thanks for the other info too.

This I get. I just assumed, wrongly it appears, that if the issue came up while I was there I could "buy it." .................

The extent of the legal grey area in Africa. Very similar to a familiar US policy: "Don't ask, don't tell". :)

Legal Grey zone.jpg

:S Lol:That is the clearest explanation ever...Brickburn

Gentlemen , really the issue here is what is considered a management Bull ? If it is a PCA ( Problem causing animal ) and hunted as such , No , it cannot be exported.
If Management bull implies Elephant bulls of 30 pounds and less hunted in the APNR on a regular hunting permit , then the answer is YES.
Actually there is no such thing as an Elephant CITES hunting permit. I have never had an Elephant permit in my hand that had the words CITES on it.
Any non PCA , legally hunted Elephant can be exported.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross