Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA,Military Pistol Club
Hunted
Australia,Zimbabwe
Mana Pools, the iconic Zimbabwean national park and World Heritage Site, faces another threat to its wilderness status as two new lodge developments on prime sites within the parks boundaries have been proposed. And both are being vigorously disputed by the wider conservation and ecotourism communities.

It was just over a year ago that strong opposition from environmental groups stopped Protea Hotels from going ahead with their 144-bed hotel and conference centre across the river from Mana. But this time, the battle is likely to be more complex as those involved are reputed to have strong political connections.

Mana Pools has established its world-wide reputation because it remains a low-volume wilderness region offering some of the best wildlife experiences on the continent. And it lies along an extended floodplain section of the Zambezi, which makes it an ecologically sensitive area. It is for these reasons that UNESCO established the region as a Word Heritage Site. Indiscriminate development by unconcerned developers puts this status at risk.

Both proposed lodges seem to have been given government approval without going to tender and without comprehensive EIA being completed: in fact, according to local conservationists, everything about the procedures goes against the parks own approved management plans that state all new developments should be well away from the river for ecological and impacts reasons.

The first site, referred to as "Nyamepi Lodge" is situated on the banks of the Zambezi River midway between the parks western and eastern boundaries, and is controlled by the son of George Pangeti, Chairman of Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority Board. The second site, known as the Vine site, is also situated on Zambezi River between the existing Ndungu Camp Site and Vundu Camp, and is controlled by an Italian citizen. He is involved in a tannery business not far from Marondera that has extensive government contracts. His partner, a Chinese national, has links to various businesses in Zimbabwe, including minerals and the development of an agricultural university. It is believed that this consortium won a concession to establish a lodge in Gonarezhou National Park, which then subsequently fell through. In exchange, they requested and have been granted a site in Mana Pools!

Money talk and BS walks.

When the right grease is applied anything can happen.

Business is business.... :redhot:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross