Male vs. Female Oryx

On my recent trip we went to the Kalahari in North West Province. It didn’t matter to me if it was male or female i just wanted a good representative animal. We found this long female and I could not resist.
IMG_2044.jpg

Walking behind my tracker wondering why we were still on a long stalk with the wind so (seemingly) wrong...and he whispers "this one, now"... I didn't care. :) Just grateful for a good representative animal. (Female, btw.)
20210724_100643.jpg

Here’s my bottle opener, toothpick combination.
E7FAE96F-C97A-493D-9942-66703286DF0C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
17.jpg

My trophy after connecting with a gemsbuck after 3 days Douglas Northern Cape.

18.jpg

Old cow past her prime with good secondary growth.

Great mass and length, with symmetry and straight. Great animals to hunt for sure.
IMG_E3494.JPG

Weird as it seems, I have always been impressed by old bulls with heavy, long horns where one horn has been broken. I imagine there is quite a story behind that break... as their horns are very tough. Been along with hunters who wouldn't shoot any broken horned oryx- no matter the size of the full length horn- no argument from me about the hunter's choice but always scratched my head. :) I've seen them but of course but when hunting them, I've never have had the opportunity for an old one with a broken horn. The other wish I had for a long time was to hunt them in their ancestral homeland in the Kalahari of Botswana. Got that chance and this bull. But I would have selected a comparable one with a broken horn over this one if given the choice.

Kalahari gemsbok  copy 2.jpg

I really wanted a Bull over 38in when hunting in Namibia & got this guy who was just over 40in, we had to work for him to !

My Gemsbok 1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois