Male vs. Female Oryx

On my recent trip we went to the Kalahari in North West Province. It didn’t matter to me if it was male or female i just wanted a good representative animal. We found this long female and I could not resist.
IMG_2044.jpg

Walking behind my tracker wondering why we were still on a long stalk with the wind so (seemingly) wrong...and he whispers "this one, now"... I didn't care. :) Just grateful for a good representative animal. (Female, btw.)
20210724_100643.jpg

17.jpg

My trophy after connecting with a gemsbuck after 3 days Douglas Northern Cape.

18.jpg

Old cow past her prime with good secondary growth.

Great mass and length, with symmetry and straight. Great animals to hunt for sure.
IMG_E3494.JPG

Weird as it seems, I have always been impressed by old bulls with heavy, long horns where one horn has been broken. I imagine there is quite a story behind that break... as their horns are very tough. Been along with hunters who wouldn't shoot any broken horned oryx- no matter the size of the full length horn- no argument from me about the hunter's choice but always scratched my head. :) I've seen them but of course but when hunting them, I've never have had the opportunity for an old one with a broken horn. The other wish I had for a long time was to hunt them in their ancestral homeland in the Kalahari of Botswana. Got that chance and this bull. But I would have selected a comparable one with a broken horn over this one if given the choice.

Kalahari gemsbok  copy 2.jpg

I really wanted a Bull over 38in when hunting in Namibia & got this guy who was just over 40in, we had to work for him to !

My Gemsbok 1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg