Male vs. Female Oryx

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My father and I have our first Safari booked. 10 days we will be split up hunting 1 on 1 for the majority. I may sneak in and watch him attempt to shoot a Nyala and we are hoping to lay about 15-20 animals in the salt. We are so excited. We have been watching videos and looking at all sorts of pictures. Females typically have longer but skinnier horns. However, the males having shorter but thicker horns. In your oryx dreams, what are you pulling the trigger on. A crazy long female or a thick male. Post any pictures if you can. I can not decide what to go after.

A thick male for me. Also, generally they are more symmetrical.

Sometimes you are very lucky and get the best of both worlds.

Both happen to be males.

I have not posed the picture to accentuate the length of the horns. This is a 40 inch Male.
gemsbok trophy 1.jpg

This younger male had bases as big as a water bottle.
IMG_2380.jpg

Males are nicer with the thicker bases. I would suggest keeping an open mind about it. You may bump into a female with good length by then you should have made up your mind and take the shot.
In the end personal choice.

Where abouts are you going for your hunt? some areas are better for oryx than others.

Males are nicer with the thicker bases. I would suggest keeping an open mind about it. You may bump into a female with good length by then you should have made up your mind and take the shot.
In the end personal choice.

Where abouts are you going for your hunt? some areas are better for oryx than others.

I will be in the limpopo in South Africa.

I will be in the limpopo in South Africa.

I am sure you will get a good one there. The Kalahari however is the true domain of the Gemsbuck/Oryx.
I would not pass up a old Bull in Limpopo with thick bases and worn down tips of 36" or a 36-38" Cow with symmetrical horns.

Best is to go out and enjoy yourself and I am sure you will. Go with a open mind and it will sort itself out. Often it is best to take what the bush offers you, especially if you are not sure.

I wish you good luck on your hunt.

Me, I'd like one of each just because of their differences.
Since this is your first, I would let Africa dictate it. Your PH will be the best help you can get on this. He should have an idea of what the potential is.

Good luck and enjoy your planning and hunt!
Oh and take lots of pics and please give us a report!

My goal on the Namibia part of my up coming trip is a 40" male and a 42" female. I will be in the land of big oryx so going for broke.

In the limpo there is a few big ones around but not the best area for them. I would not pass a 36" male or say a 38" female as both are great animals.

I tried for 2 days to take a really nice large male. I had to settle for this female with 37" long horns. I am happy with it and it made a nice mount.
You will see one you like and given the ok by the PH take it no matter what sex it is would be my advise.
DSC_0198.JPG

On my hunt 2 years ago I was after a good male but the stars didn't align me me and all we ran into were females and then on the next to last day we found a herd that had one male in it and he was sub par. So I took a nice female.

Sometimes you need to bend to what is coming into view. You can always hope for the best but it doesn't always happen the way that you really want it to. I'm happy with the one that I took.
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
42" Gemsbok bull
full

full

42" Gemsbok female
full

full

Wow Jerome those pic's really show the difference between the two in thickness. Both are dream oryx

My 2 were female ....Gord's was male ..... Taken Namibia 2011 . Always said take what Africa offers to you .
Glen

DSC_0148.JPG
DSC_0164.JPG
DSC_0148.JPG
DSC_0160.JPG
DSCF1649.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hunted on and off for ten days in 2013, then another 9 days in 15 for a good Gemsbok. On the 10th day I finally connected on this beautiful female. A 237 yard down hill shot. Here's a photo of the set up, and the shot. Kevin
IMG_20150419_134526081.jpg
IMG_20150419_122456922.jpg
IMG_20150419_132035607_HDR~01.jpg

Harder to make Rowland Ward with a male. Depending upon time of the year females may not be available for harvest.

Big male is what I would want.

Sometimes you are very lucky and get the best of both worlds.

Both happen to be males.

I have not posed the picture to accentuate the length of the horns. This is a 40 inch Male.
View attachment 174604

This younger male had bases as big as a water bottle.
View attachment 174605

That pretty much sums up what I want. And I want to hunt in Namibia too. Under the right circumstances I'd take one in SA, but...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross