Making the SCI (or RW) Record Books? How easy is it, really?

Rubberhead

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
I went to Africa never having even looked at the SCI or RW methods of scoring or the minimum requirements. I wasn't hunting an animal for the books - I shot the first wildebeest bull that I got a chance at. Now, three months after I get back from Africa, I get an email from the taxidermist with the SCI form filled out and find out that the blue gnu I shot measures 79 4/8" - SCI Silver.

Was I just very lucky or are these minimums set low to allow for folks to make the books?

I went to Africa never having even looked at the SCI or RW methods of scoring or the minimum requirements. I wasn't hunting an animal for the books - I shot the first wildebeest bull that I got a chance at. Now, three months after I get back from Africa, I get an email from the taxidermist with the SCI form filled out and find out that the blue gnu I shot measures 79 4/8" - SCI Silver.

Was I just very lucky or are these minimums set low to allow for folks to make the books?
Qualifying for SCI is obviously a lot easier since there are a few different degrees to qualifying namely Bronze, Silver and Gold.
For Rowland Ward, there is only one qualifying standard. It either makes it, or not. Some animals are a lot easier to qualify for Rowland Ward compared to others. I have seen a few species adjusted over the years that I have been in the industry.

+1 to both @wesheltonj and @KMG Hunting Safaris comments.

The majority of the African animals we have taken to date have met at least the bronze SCI standard. Many have been silver..

But we only have 5 RW animals in the bunch that I am aware of.. it is a much more difficult standard to meet.

Thanks guys. The outside spread on the SCI form shows 29 4/8" and the RW minimum is 28 4/8" so I've asked the taxidermist to fill out a RW form too.

These are some of the principles of Rowland Ward- I wonder what SCI has to say to this topic....

"Hunting within game-proof fences is acceptable if it promotes the general well-being and conservation of both the habitat and the species enclosed. For enclosures to be acceptable to Rowland Ward, they must contain self-sustaining, breeding populations that can feed themselves from naturally occurring vegetation and prey without continual supplemental feeding by humans. Enclosures also must provide enough acreage and vegetation so that animals can easily hide from humans and predators alike, and they must offer a hunting scenario whereby the outcome of obtaining a certain animal is never guaranteed. Please refer to our Handbook for more" (Highlighting from me)

These are some of the principles of Rowland Ward- I wonder what SCI has to say to this topic....

"Hunting within game-proof fences is acceptable if it promotes the general well-being and conservation of both the habitat and the species enclosed. Forenclosures to be acceptable to Rowland Ward, they must contain self-sustaining, breeding populations that can feed themselves from naturally occurring vegetation and prey without continual supplemental feeding by humans. Enclosures also must provide enough acreage and vegetation so that animals can easily hide from humans and predators alike, and they must offer a hunting scenario whereby the outcome of obtaining a certain animal is never guaranteed. Please refer to our Handbook for more"

I've read that too. I've texted the outfitter and he says that concession has qualified for RW in the past so I'll file and keep my fingers crossed. It is high fences but a very large property and they don't buy or sell animals so I'm hopeful.

And the comparison between SCI and RW is difficult anyway due to the very different methods
of measurement. But for all carnivores for example you simply measure the lenght of the skull, the width of it and then add these measures - and that's it for RW and SCI alike.
For SCI the Minimum is 24 Inch for Lion and 11 for Cheetah - RW requires 12 3/8 th for Cheetah
and 24 for Lion , like RW.
So with my Cheetah from Namibia, hunted completely free Range, with 13 9/16 inch I would qualify for the Gold medal at SCI - Minimum 13 1/4.
My Lion with 24 1/16 barely made RW, and would be a Silver Medal with SCI.
Just some examples

"Hunting within game-proof fences is acceptable if it promotes the general well-being and conservation of both the habitat and the species enclosed. For enclosures to be acceptable to Rowland Ward, they must contain self-sustaining, breeding populations that can feed themselves from naturally occurring vegetation and prey without continual supplemental feeding by humans. Enclosures also must provide enough acreage and vegetation so that animals can easily hide from humans and predators alike, and they must offer a hunting scenario whereby the outcome of obtaining a certain animal is never guaranteed. Please refer to our Handbook for more" (Highlighting from me)
Correct. This past year I took a buff of 43 3/8 which exceeded RW of 42 inches. What you will find is over the years RW had to take their minumums down. For example buff used to be 49 inches to make the minimum but then changed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.17 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.19 AM.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.20 AM.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.21 AM.png
    581.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 7.42.24 AM.png
    657.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Make Rowland Ward and you have already made SCI.

After learning Rowland Ward standards that is my goal.

Sounds like a good trophy. The SCI record book is designed to be a repository of information on the animals and where they were hunted. It is broad in a sense as has been mentioned. Another point to keep in mind is that funds raised from the record book are contributions to conservation. It is a major fundraiser for SCI which keeps us in the fight against the antis.
I am behind on getting more in the book. I have a few of the Tiny Ten that are near their top. Why couldn’t it be a kudu?
Philip

Make Rowland Ward and you have already made SCI.

After learning Rowland Ward standards that is my goal.

Correct, and my goals are European - CIC, North America - B&C.

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it"

I've read that too. I've texted the outfitter and he says that concession has qualified for RW in the past so I'll file and keep my fingers crossed. It is high fences but a very large property and they don't buy or sell animals so I'm hopeful.

That’s why a lot of RSA buffalo do not make RW.

It's the hunt that counts, not the damned record books.

No one has to chose one or the other. It can be both.

Like I said, I didn't do it, but someone that holds out for a record book animal is still hunting. Actually, being selective is a higher form of hunting.

Rowland Ward is equivalent to Boone and Crocket minimum. It takes a helluva trophy to make it! Especially if free range!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!