Making homemade shooting sticks

Jasper99

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I want to make some sticks to practice with before our trip. Would like to hear some tips on making them. 2 or 3 leg? Any tips for shooting from them or just personal preference and what works best in practice? Thanks!

How fancy do you want to get? If you just want some sticks to shoot off of then go down to Home Depot or Lowe's and get 3 sticks of 1/2" EMT (electrical conduit). Cut them down to 7' and tie them together with a rubber bungee at around 6'. If you have a old piece of leather you can use it for a rifle pad, if not a piece of foam rubber will work just for something to place the rife on. Now you have a tripod shooting stick.

You can adjust and cut the conduit until you have one that fits you and your shooting style for less than $20.

Jasper I bought a three leg set at Cabelas that really helped me practice with my 416. You need to ask your PH what he will have. My previous hunts the PH had two stick sets but in the lion camp the owner had three leg sticks. The twos are easy to get use to as you just push forward or pull back to adjust height.

I use 3 dowel rods about 6'5"in length tie them together at the one end with inner tubing and your set.. ;)

My best always

I tried to go with Jaco's idea but couldn't find dowel rods locally that were long enough. So I ended up buying a Primos tripod at Cabela's that was on sale. I am glad I did because I really like shooting off of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross