Making hand stitched Vellies leather shoes for the 1885 Era Black powder hunt

Amazing! They look pretty comfortable.

Members, I completed my set, still putting neatsfoot oil on it to make it soft and pliable, disadvantage is that it turns to a dark color, I do not know if this coloration will subsides in time and return to a lighter coloration..I will post photos on this forum...directly...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Here are two photos..will upload more..this is what the neatfoot oil does , it makes it darker, I will finish the whole shoe using the neetfoot oil finish and the set I am making for HWL will be finished using the normal colorless finish that only water proof the leather and then it will be completed with a leather dye, a tan color dye..
full

Reactions: HWL
Here is another photo , showing a nice texture of the leather where the neatsfoot oil is filtering through the leather..I will add more oil tomorrow..notice the thick leather sole , it really is a comfortable pair of leather shoes..:A Big Hello::A Banana:
full

Reactions: HWL
This pair of leather velskoene I am making for one of the forum members, HWL who will be participating in the 1885 Era Black Powder hunt. I made a few changes to this design. Here are a few photos of the progress I made, I will upload more photos as I make progress, but it is nearly finished..
Soft leather inside of the toe part :
wEuisXZ.jpg
full

My hand stitching work seems to get better
full
full

Centering the sole and upper leather to ensure all the lines get lined up correctly
full

Sanded down with eighty grain sand paper..
full

Difference between the new leather and the completed shoe with three coats of leather conditioner .
full

Here is the pair I made for HWL, I applied three layers each of the conditioning lotion as well as the Neatsfoot oil..I will wait until it soaks in before applying some more finishing...
full

full

Looking good Gert. they will make for quite stalking

Thank you Garry, yes, it will be why I am making these vellies since it is the softest walking /hunting shoes you can get..in any bush veld scenario..(y)

Gert, these look very comfortable. How do they feel when walking over thorns, broken branches, rocks etc?

Gert, these look very comfortable. How do they feel when walking over thorns, broken branches, rocks etc?
Shootist, I used vellies since 2015 and it really walks extremely soft , dampens any noises, it can take thorns , walk over any structure...

While completing my second pair of vellies I commenced with my leather water bottle for the Black Powder hunt as well...here are some photos:
Designed the bottle:
full
full
full

Drawing the design onto the leather:
full

Cut it out using a carpet knife:
full
full
full
full
full

Inscribing the stitching lines:
full

Punching holes for the carry sling
full
full

Drawing furrows for the waxed thread to lay in level with the leather surface
full

Rounding the edges for better burnishing later
full

full

Wood glue-gluing the two leather panel together>
full

Stitching the panels together
full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross