Makers of Fine Bolt Action Dangerous Game Rifles

Welcome to AH, CDorroh !
As Tarbe said, check the Heym Express bolt action, and also their 88B double.

Check out the Heym Express bolt rifle as well.

Specifically a Ralf Martini Heym. Very very nice, and "a bargain" at only $10,000.

Welcome to our great community!

If you are ready to dish out serious dough than go with a complete custom job on a M98 action. I am doing it right now.

Just my 2 cents.

R.

I highly recommend Todd Ramirez for a custom DG rifle. His work is amazing. The downside is that the wait is over 2 years for a rifle.

Specifically a Ralf Martini Heym. Very very nice, and "a bargain" at only $10,000.
Looks like that "may be" a substitute for a Rigby Big Game at about $6000 less expensive, but I would want to compare them side by side first.

Two stock bolts are no better than one stock bolt or no stock bolts if the bedding is not correct, the stock design leaves the 'narrow' parts of the stock too thin anyway and the wood is low quality.

You need a gunsmith who knows what they are doing, to look at a stock and the bedding before deciding on how many stock bolts you may or may not need.

A top quality rifle with all the bells and whistles won't guarantee you success. It may give you more confidence.
Also, if you walk around afraid of it getting scratched and losing value you won't be concentrating on hunting.
I truly agree with you. If I sank $30-$40,000 into a beautiful bolt rifle for the sole purpose of harvesting Big Critters, I would likewise have to come to terms with the fact that it is a tool. I would not want a rifle I would be afraid to scuff, scratch, or gouge. Me personally, I would search the used market for a rifle that may already have a few of the previously stated markings, then if I added one or two new marks to it, I would not feel that the rifle was ruined visually.

Beautiful rifle! Visually speaking, that's about what I had in mind.
Martini will likely have a table full of rifles like that at the Calgary African Events show January 22-24, 2016. I'm afraid to look at them too closely or pick one up for fear i would want one. And I'm a guy who likes a good synthetic stock better than wood! Beautiful sleek rifles. The Martini Heyms are just gorgeous. If you got the money, this is a great rifle IMO.

Thinking through this a bit, you might want to relook the Kimber Caprivis. While fit and finish are not a Rigby square bridge, they sure aren't a Ruger either. They represent a quality, classic - styled mauser in a very usable package. You won't sit around any campfire in Africa where it won't be known and respected, and most importantly it will be the sort of good looking and shooting rifle that you should be willing to hunt hard. And should something regrettable happen in international travel, it will simply leave you homicidal rather than suicidal.

Thinking through this a bit, you might want to relook the Kimber Caprivis. While fit and finish are not a Rigby square bridge, they sure aren't a Ruger either. They represent a quality, classic - styled mauser in a very usable package. You won't sit around any campfire in Africa where it won't be known and respected, and most importantly it will be the sort of good looking and shooting rifle that you should be willing to hunt hard. And should something regrettable happen in international travel, it will simply leave you homicidal rather than suicidal.
I agree. Much more in my price range also. I'd probably buy the Talkeetna though. Just me.

I am very satisfied with the work Reto Buehler did for me.

His work is superb. Fit, finish, and beautiful wood certainly contribute to pride of ownership. All of those things can be obtained by buying a used first rate rifle. However what really separates a bespoke rifle from what is essentially a factory rifle made to an extremely high standard is that the bespoke rifle is made to fit the person it is intended for. Reto did an excellent job in that regard. As a result, the rifle is very comfortable and easy to shoot.

I can't argue with that logic. My local store has one for under $2600. It would be hard to go wrong with that. I could always add a nice custom gun to the collection on down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RashadSalt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois