Maker of "MHD" Rifles?

Elkbugling

AH member
Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes "MHD" rifles? I recently purchased a 505 Gibbs, and the only markings are "505 Gibbs" and "MHD 505-2". I've tried to do a Google search and haven't found anything definitive. Right now I am thinking maybe "Mauser Henri Dumoulin" or "Mauser Herstal-Dumoulin". The rifle is very will built, but no ornamental engraving. Thank you to anyone that can help!

MHD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If possible, post more detailed photos of proof marks, and stamps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.47.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.47.50 PM.png
    972.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.47.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.47.52 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.47.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.47.54 PM.png
    607.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the rifle I purchased, the one from Gunbroker. I could only find one other "MHD" rifle from another auction site from last year (serial number MHD 505-1), and then the "MHD" chambered in the unknown 416 caliber. The description for the 416 says it is an MHD rifle, but it says "Dumoulin" on the safety, but never says "MHD" on the pictures. I've attached the only other mark on the rifle, a proof mark on the barrel. I've tried finding it listed somewhere, but have been unsuccessful. My rifle appears to be very well made, but no other markings are on it. Herstal-Dumoulin used to be a company, but the website has been taken down and is no longer functional.

Gibbs Proof.JPG

If it were Belgian, it would have Belgian proof marks. It looks to have a commercial single square bridge action. Have you removed it from the stock to see if it has any proof or pressure marks that are hidden?

If it were Belgian, it would have Belgian proof marks. It looks to have a commercial single square bridge action. Have you removed it from the stock to see if it has any proof or pressure marks that are hidden?

Beat me to it…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!