Magnum Research BFR or Smith & Wesson XVR?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
im kicking around the idea of picking up a hunting pistol in 460 S&W. I like the idea of a 200gr .451" Barnes TSX at 2400+fps.

with either gun I would be going with the longest non-compensated barrel (10" BFR or 12" XVR). I plan on mounting a scope on the revolver and use the gun at short rifle ranges (50-150 yards).

the price is pretty much the same ($900 for the BFR and $1100 for the XVR) and I don't think the extra 2 inches of barrel make a huge difference. I also could care less about double action and would likely use the gun strictly in single action. I am however very picky on trigger pull and I know the S&W will have a good trigger but haven't tried a BFR yet.

what are your thoughts on these two guns?

thank you
-Matt

I have had two BFR’s, they are built he’ll for stout but the triggers were not the best. My XVR has a great trigger out of the box. If I had my choice of all big bore handguns it is Freedom Arms, but not sure if they chamber the 460 or not.

ive looked at Freedom Arms in the past, nice guns but im about positive they don't offer a gun big enough for the 460 S&W. even if they did the price of those revolvers is more then im looking to spend on a hand gun.

good to know about the BFR trigger, It sounds like the XVR is the better choice then.

-matt

How about a smith in 500 magnum? Trigger is beautiful and I have a 4 power leupold on mine. 50 yards is the farthest I’ve shot it but it will lay them in there. I think you can get them without the brake also. Chuck Hawks compared the two and the 500 came out on top except for recoil and penetration.

I have 2 BFR 1 in 45/70 the other in 454 Casull. I have 2 460 Magnums in the S&W, I find the S&W easier to shoot, but then I’ve been shooting double action revolvers for 45 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross