Mag na port & muzzle blast opinions please

Has anyone done a trial on this? To actually test the decibels of a mag na port vs non ported.
@Jamie D Van Roekel
Never tested the radial port brake but my mates reckon it is bloody loud compared to non braked. I can tell the difference in noise off the bench but when hunting I don't even hear the rifle go off or feel the recoil but then again I'm partially deaf in my left ear anyway.
Bob

A PH can not afford to hunt with muffs on his head - particularly in a dangerous game environment. Their directional hearing is as important to keeping their client safe as are their eyes. A muzzle brake complicates his ability to manage the hunt significantly while representing an actual threat to his ability to do his job effectively now and in the future..

It is why they universally hate them. That isn't to say a PH will curse a client to his face who shows up with one. Theirs is an industry that requires polite interaction with whomever has signed the contract - great outdoorsman or drunk or arrogant ass or someone using a muzzle brake. But that doesn't change what he is thinking.

I'll be blunt. If a hunter is, for whatever reason, uncomfortable with the recoil of a particular rifle, step down a caliber, or put a recoil reduction device in the butt, or get a heavier firearm. There are plenty of calibers or rifle designs, that due to recoil, I have no intention of ever using. That doesn't bother me in the least.
That was my feelings two years ago when I wrote that.

Now having been there and actually done it. I can't say I disagree with what you are saying. You have far more experience and far more interaction with PHs than I have. The short time I have been over there asking the question seeing the hunt unfold. Well until you actually experience it yourself and talk to the people in the field, it's hard to truly understand what you said.

You always give sounds advice, thank you for that.

On my first Safari in RSA, we were after a blue Wildebeest and the assistant PH and I were in the back seat of an open hunting vehicle, he on the right side and I on the left. Game was sighted just a few yards off the two track to the right. Multiple folk urged me to shoot it and were surprised when I did not.
They did understand when I explained that the Magna Port of my .338 Winchester was only one foot from the ear of the PH and I did not wish to damage his hearing or put out his left eye. I did not mention that I really did not wish to shoot my trophy from the vehicle.

It turned out that when I did take my Gnu, it was one of my better stalks of the entire two week hunt and included walking several hundred yards, crawling, and then squatting to observe the small herd as it slowly stirred from a nap and began stroll our of cover to begin feeding. The bull was the last to show and looked about nervously until he paused to look back from 50 yards away. My .338 230 grain Failsafe bullet went through his heart and Hannes gave me a big smile and nodded. The bull dashed full speed for 100 yards into the open field before dying in mid air and crashing to the earth in a cloud of red dust! It could not have been better and remains unforgettable! That head is watching my back now.
And our camera man was off somewhere looking for new batteries.

Terminator Products has a recoil measuring device that is pretty cool. In this video they compare all different brakes along with no break...all on the same rifle with the same ammo. 2 minute video is worth a watch with conclusive results as far as recoil is concerned.

I have a removable one on my .340 Weatherby Mk V and have only used it when sighting in my rifle or for extended shooting time at the range. Without it I can only handle around 10 rounds before I start to really notice the recoil, with it on I can shoot the rifle all day long.

On my first trip to Africa and when we headed down to the range to check our rifles zero I had it on. When I pulled the rifle out of the case the 2 PH's who were standing there rolled their eyes and had the expression on their face like they were wondering just who was going to get this person. Well, I took my 3 shots at the 100 yard target and then removed the brake and screwed on the thread cap. I also told them that I have never hunted with a brake installed and didn't intend to start. I just liked it for when I was shooting off of the bench.

A few days later my PH got me into some black wildebeest while the tracker with the shooting sticks was a few hundred yards behind us. When we got into shooting distance he sat down in front of me and pointed to his shoulder for me to use as a rest. I whispered that I would say "go" and then count to three before I pulled the trigger for him to get ready. That wildebeest was dead when the bullet hit him but like most African game he wanted to run a ways before he fell over.

Now if I would of had a brake on my rifle right then I highly doubt that I would of taken that shot using my Ph's shoulder as a rest even if he did get his fingers into his ears before I pulled the trigger.

Terminator Products has a recoil measuring device that is pretty cool. In this video they compare all different brakes along with no break...all on the same rifle with the same ammo. 2 minute video is worth a watch with conclusive results as far as recoil is concerned.
@BeeMaa
Just goes to show that brakes do make a difference even tho they vary in effectiveness.
I would like to see the results with the common radial port brake. Thing is I couldn't detect any noise difference between any of the braked or unbraked shots. Then again I am partially deaf in my left ear.
Bob

@BeeMaa
Just goes to show that brakes do make a difference even tho they vary in effectiveness.
I would like to see the results with the common radial port brake. Thing is I couldn't detect any noise difference between any of the braked or unbraked shots. Then again I am partially deaf in my left ear.
Bob
If you click on their channel, they have several videos with this recoil device. They have to have one with a radial brake but you may have to do a little digging.

Fantastic! After reading this thread over, I made up my mind on what I want for this years Christmas present!!! ACTUALLY A PRESENT FOR THIS RIFLE:

51985_600x400.jpg

Now my favorite big bore stalking rifle, this 1895 .405 needs to be Magnaported (already emailed info to them) and have a sling swivel properly mounted on the barrel out front of the fore end. I do not need or want a scope as the receiver mounted peep sight works great shooting either right or left handed as does the lever action.
Plus, as others have noted, some of us have self imposed range limits of about 300 yards.
I have actually shot a Pronghorn lefthanded (around the edge of a small cedar tree) at a range of less than 15 yards. Another lefthanded Pronghorn was this buck at 230 yards.
58118_600x400.jpg

Being ambidextrous has some advantages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!