M98 bolt question

Mctrigger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Picked up a used husky 9.3x62. But noticed some possible wear that may be concerning on the upper bolt lug. As well as possibly a worn or chipped extractor face. I’m new to Mauser actions. Any advice would be great. Is it a concern? Locks up fairly tight.

ECDECA98-C2A7-4272-A2AE-96215BC74B56.png
FBC679EC-3680-44D1-9CBD-3DDAEBF3063D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it to a qualified gunsmith and get his opinion. My gunsmith routinely repairs minor discrepancies to Mauser style "actions."

the extractor show evidence of ignorant use.
someone has chambered a round and tried to force the extractor over the rim rather than feeding the round from the magazine.
the very design that gives surety of extraction has through misuse chipped the edge of the claw off.
the rub mark on the lug suggests a manufacturing shortcoming.
if the rifle works ok for you and is accurate enough, go ahead and use it.
if it were mine i would look for a new extractor, as they are easy to replace.
the bolt problem could involve machining the receiver, the bolt or both, but is probably not a safety issue.
such things are why in the past mausers were considered "clunkers" compared to say a rem 700.should this happen in a rem 700, necessary machine work is relatively simple, but what a mauser has to offer extra is probably worth it.
from an economic point of view, the locking lug is now not perfect and cannot be returned to that condition, so you might be better off to replace the rifle with a better example.
then you have the moral issue of how you describe it to a potential purchaser.
bruce.

further looking at that bolt makes me feel that it was never finished properly.
this is not in line with the general opinion of husky workmanship.
this raises the question of whether the bolt is original.
or a monday morning special.
bruce.

Change that extractor. I don’t know that closing the bolt on a round dropped in the chamber would cause that. Brass is a lot softer than the extractor. But closing it on a go - gauge would sure do it. Extractor can be shaped to go over a chambered round, the arguments for and against are usually passionate. The bolt lug looks almost like bubba got a case of the tinker-itis and went at it with a Dremel to “smooth” it out. If the back of the lugs are unmolested I’d shoot it, but keep an eye on it too.

Taking to a good gunsmith is the best suggestion if you’re unsure.

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. it appears the lug may have seen a file as there are marks on the bolt that parallel the top of the lug. I almost think someone tapered it to “smooth” out feeding where it transitions. Forward of the thumb cutout on the receiver. Such a shame as the rest of the rifle is unmolested and the barrel shows very little use. The advice given I will side with a poorly done modification and the receiver bolt aspect of it I would not love this rifle as much as I should. Fortunately the dealer will take it back. Thanks again for the advice.

Hard to say about the bolt. Looks like the whole bolt was just dumped into a bluing tank. I don't know if that is normal for that model/brand or not. Some bolts are just ratty, especially if they have been re-purposed or cannibalized from some other source?? Hard to tell exactly what is normal condition dings and wear vs some real potential problem- just from the photos. But photos always tend to exaggerate dirt and surface flaws. Nonetheless, the wear and dings on that bolt do look similar to those seen on mil surplus bolts that have been abused. Really hard to say for certain. So, the best advice, as has been posted, would be to have a gunsmith look at it.

The extractor is obviously chipped and probably still functions OK. Not a real safety issue. But, may have lost half it's extraction capability. It is an easy, relatively inexpensive replacement if the bolt is OK otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross