M93 7x57 with modern ammunition

MISportsman

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have a M93 7x57 spanish mauser that my father taught me to hunt with long ago that I love. I still use it for whitetail deer here in Michigan with the Remington 140 gr psp which of course is loaded light to be safe in these older small ring mausers and they work fine for that.
My question is will the Norma factory loads be safe to fire in this rifle? I would like to use it on an elk hunt and would like to use the Norma oryx 156 gr in it if its safe.

Contact Norma with your question and they will give you the correct answer. Pretty sure it will be alright, no more than you will shoot it, if your rifle is in good condition but, don't take my word for it.

Thank you Joe. Judging by your screen name I'm guessing you're a 7x57 fan. Do you have a recommendation for a good factory load for elk size game?

Shouldn’t be any problem... the 93 action can handle pressures well above what modern 7x57 factory loads generate...

There has been some controversy over Spanish mausers converted to .308.. but even much of that has been debunked...

As long as a competent gunsmith tells you the gun is in good shape, I don’t see any problems with even a hot factory load

Thank you Joe. Judging by your screen name I'm guessing you're a 7x57 fan. Do you have a recommendation for a good factory load for elk size game?

I’m not joe....

But my SR Mauser loves the Norma 156gr Oryx factory load... I recommend you start there and see what you think...

I hand load for my 7x57... but if I were heading out for elk and was looking for a box of factory Ammo, the 156gr Oryx is what I’d take with me...

Great BC... shoots tight groups in my gun... and the Oryx is a very good projectile IMO...

The rifle itself, when brand new, would handle any commercial load made today.

Yes! Some of them have blown up, but you should try to think why this would happen.

Remember that these were battle rifles and being that many had the living hell shot out of them with some fired so many times that they had their shoulders peened back creating excessive head space. And some might have not been fired much, but many weren't cleaned much either and should corrosive elements be used to make the rounds the entire bore oof the barrel would rust and get smaller in diameter just waiting for someone to put any round down the chamber to spell catastrophe.

OK! If you know the rifle well I wouldn't have a problem cutting loose.

But if you don't get it checked for head spacing , bore damage and rusting in the cocking and sear areas.

Many of these rifles have been converted to 308 with no problems. The 96 I have converted many to cock on open, with low scope safeties .

And the steel was and is just as good as that of the 98......which many of them have come apart as well.

MISportsman, the last time I hunted with factory ammo was 1976 but, if the notion struck me to do so, I certainly would look hard at Norma's 156 Oryx load. My rifles loved the old Norma 150 load and most of my handloads mimic that one. The last elk I killed was with a 150 Nosler Partition traveling 2755 fps from the muzzle. It wasn't a long range shot as I was in dark timber but, the elk only made it about 25 yards before expiring. Good luck on your hunt.
P.S. Yes I am a great fan of the fabulous 7x57mm Mauser!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross