M70 Safari Express 416 Rem or cz 550 416 Rigby

Agree with a several posters here. M70 is a beautiful rifle, the CZ is a robust rifle. Fit and finish of the M70 is better IMO. Too bad the M70 isn't currently available in 416 Rigby. I have both the Win M70 Alaskan series in 338WM, and a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. I have yet to have any feed issues with the CZ. Tough call though. I think I'll just stick with my Win M70 Stainless Classic in 404 Jeffery!

Arrived today,
Very happy with the rifle and violence, now to get some rounds through it

View attachment 221409 View attachment 221410 View attachment 221411
You may need to mount the rear ringmount (if installing a scope) just forward of the pop up sight. I had to do this on my BRNO 600 in 7x57. If the ringmount was installed directly over the pop up sight the bolt either would not open in the closed position, or close in the open position.
Nice rifle btw. I have the later version in 375H&H (no pop up peep sight).

You may need to mount the rear ringmount (if installing a scope) just forward of the pop up sight. I had to do this on my BRNO 600 in 7x57. If the ringmount was installed directly over the pop up sight the bolt either would not open in the closed position, or close in the open position.
Thanks,

I will leave the rifle with iron sights only, no plans for a scope, the ballence is great and the current stock fits me well

Their are mounts that fit and work when mounted over the peep sight. Check for eye relief issues when mounting forward.

After returning from Namibia in 2013 I began my planning to return to Africa for Cape Buffalo. That included finding a suitable firearm, which turned out to be a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. Maybe it was a little rough initially but with a little polish, glass bedding and a few other tweeks it now is as smooth as glass. Mounted a trijicon 1-4 DG optics with QD mounts and part of the enjoyment is putting the package together and building a good handload. I think getting to know your rifle , because it will be your best friend in the bush, is invaluable. After a shooting couple hundred of handloads I think my comfort level with the gun is significant. Don't be afraid of the CZ 550 or the 416 Rigby. Get to know it by getting it ready. Otherwise a person may as well rent the rifle from the PH and avoid all the other hassels of taking your own rifle with you. Just my 2 cents worth.

Well I found a z6i 1-6x24EE for the 416, and had a little work done also, still in the original stock. And booked to be in Mozambique chasing buffalo I the swamps come August 2022.

20211223_103500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That Model 70 in 416 REM seems to just carry better in the field. Good on Elephant and Buffalo!
Not a stopper but a great Big game hunting cartridge.

That Model 70 in 416 REM seems to just carry better in the field. Good on Elephant and Buffalo!
Not a stopper but a great Big game hunting cartridge.
It's not a m70, is a zkk602 in 416 Rigby

Good decision, I watched a guy shoot a CZ 550 416 Rigby. 4x standing shots, scoped himself 3 times.
\
I hunt with my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, got a Leupold 1.5-5x scope on it. never scoped myself. But I don't shoot it prone, actually I don't shoot any of my rifles prone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg