shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Hey guys, just got my Model 70 Safari Express .375 H&H back from having a McMillan "Dark McWoody" stock installed. Bedding/fitting was done by Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles. Posting factory vs. McMillan pics below. Stock is super solid and feels great. Dark coloring with red pad is exactly what I wanted, though I realize some won't like the look. Anyway, just wanted to put it out there...
IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_1772.JPG

I think is nice. As long as your happy. Good luck with it.

Definitely a unique look. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice, McMillan sure makes a good stock. I've lived here in the Phoenix area now for almost 14 years and never heard of Phoenix Custom Rifles, and there all of about 5 minutes from my office.

Very nice, McMillan sure makes a good stock. I've lived here in the Phoenix area now for almost 14 years and never heard of Phoenix Custom Rifles, and there all of about 5 minutes from my office.
Phil, I worked with Brad at PCR. They build mostly high-end "tactical rifles", but McMillan has them bed a lot of stocks for them. Their work and attention to detail is impeccable. They install a solid carbon fiber "crossbolt" in the rear, even though McMillan says no need, and he drilled out McMillan's 1/2" pillars and installed 5/8" for no extra charge because he thought that's what the rifle needed. Great guys!

I think it actually looks pretty good! the only thing I find a bit strange is the texture of the grip surfaces.

-matt

I think it actually looks pretty good! the only thing I find a bit strange is the texture of the grip surfaces.

-matt
This is their "Express" model stock, which only offers texturing vs. checkering. Other option is their "Supergrade" with a bit less drop at heel & comb and would make it tougher to use iron sights. Doubtful I ever would use them anyway, but I felt this one was better all around. If given the choice, I guess I'd prefer checkering, but the stippling/texturing feels realy good.

Thanks for the compliments, all. My goal was to have a rock-solid stable stock for use in any weather that wouldn't warp, etc. I definitely got that! Just didn't want a standard black or brown solid color, so McMillan offers their swirled "McWoody". This is the dark version of it.

Very nice! I like the color as it is more traditional.

Nice chair buddy! Oh and that rifle looks rather nice too. The stock looks a lot like a nice dark wood

Nice chair buddy! Oh and that rifle looks rather nice too. The stock looks a lot like a nice dark wood
Thanks, Norfolk! I'm liking it more every day...the chair and the rifle:) I get a lot of work done in that chair...

Very nice and natural looking!(y)

R.

Shot my McMillan-stocked Model 70 .375 H&H for the first time today since getting it back. First 3 shots (Hornday 270 gr. Superformance FL @ 2,780 fps chrono'd) landed in .80" @100 yds. Again, bedding work was done by Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles, and I can't recommend him/them highly enough. McMillan shipped direct to them and Brad installed oversized, 5/8" pillars and bedded full length, due to the forward recoil lug. Also installed a solid carbon fiber rear "cross bolt".

IMG_3157.jpg
IMG_3009[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg