Lyman Great Plains rifle

I've never seen a buffalo brand ball, ballet, or bullet hit the side of a barn from the inside. The T/C aren't much better.

I have always been a fan of the Harvester Sabertooth
I have not had great success either shooting the swaged, preluded, full length Buffalo bullet in any ML. I tried them a lot in a 48" twist 50 cal and all I can say is they leaded like crazy and what little accuracy potential they showed in the first couple of shots, the accuracy went south quickly as the lead built up. The shorter Ball-et was very accurate and maintained that as long as the load was not over-cooked thus minimizing the leading potential. The issue here, in this thread, is the slow twist roundball barrel of the Lyman in question. Those RB type MLs simply won't shoot any long conical well at all with the exception of a true Minie'... which the Buffalo bullet is not. Two different bullets entirely.

I've also tried several of the saboted and skirted modern ML bullet designs and have nothing exciting to report. Yet I keep hearing reports of how great they were/are. I can't prove some shooters don't do well with them- just have to take their word for it. But I couldn't make it happen and I tried several designs of them in a proven accurate 48" twist rifle and in one of the best scope mounted fast twist inlines available. No joy.

But put the right load together with the T/C Maxi conical in a 48" twist rifle and they can be surprisingly accurate. I looked though my large stack of various targets and found an example of the T/C Maxi Ball's potential out of a factory, 48" twist, T/C Hawken rifle. This target shows a group out of a 50 cal T/C Hawken shooting a T/C Maxi with card wad over 80gr FF real BP at 50 yards- 4 shot group. My standard range lube is Crisco and hunting lube is SPG.

50 Hawken target.JPG

@mark-hunter I posted some however I’m not sure how to orientate them correctly. The keep appearing upside down.

Thanks, appreciated! Nice looking rifle!

(I just love the old muzzle loaders! I have cap and ball revlover colt army 1860)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross