Luggage please help need recommendations

I travel the US constantly and tons internationally on both business and hunting. I used to buy new luggage at least once a year because handlers would destroy them. But I found eBags and their Mother Lode collection and have had them for over 7 years now and thy still look good an everything still functions as it did when I purchased them. The carry on is also a backpack and I can get it on all flight no gate checks. The others I use for my long travel or when the wife comes with.

Attachments

• 117749-D636_FRONT34.png
    117749-D636_FRONT34.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 117750-1817_FRONT34.png
    117750-1817_FRONT34.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 117751-D636_FRONT34.png
    117751-D636_FRONT34.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.50.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.50.38 AM.png
    823.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.50.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.50.47 AM.png
    866.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.50.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.50.54 AM.png
    771.9 KB · Views: 32
I travel the US constantly and tons internationally on both business and hunting. I used to buy new luggage at least once a year because handlers would destroy them. But I found eBags and their Mother Lode collection and have had them for over 7 years now and thy still look good an everything still functions as it did when I purchased them. The carry on is also a backpack and I can get it on all flight no gate checks. The others I use for my long travel or when the wife comes with.

Wow, roller wheels that haven't been destroyed in seven years of hard traveling. That is extraordinary! My wife once bought roller carryon with backpack straps. It was beyond uncomfortable. She simply could not wear it. The handle rack against her back was a killer. How did Mother Lode resolve that?

Not to hijack this but I've wondered about how people secure their locked ammo case. Do you put it in your duffle or suitcase loose? Or do you have a wire cable that locks the box to your suit case?

I do the later when traveling with a locked pistol case in my suitcase. The pistol case is locked and then it is locked to the suitcase.
I've got the same question. Is it allowed in the duffle bag?

I think it is up to the airline whether ammo can be inside checked baggage. Only in US is ammo allowed inside a gun case with gun. That is forbidden just about everywhere else. I seem to recall at Joberg my ammo always had to be locked in a separate case. Possibly it was due to the airline I was flying.

I have had the locked ammo case inside my Red Oxx duffle bag in the past. BTW, they don't want you to put ammo in the rifle case any longer. Coming home Argentinian authorities had me move ammo into the gun case, the CBP made me put it back in the suitcase last month.

Wow, roller wheels that haven't been destroyed in seven years of hard traveling. That is extraordinary! My wife once bought roller carryon with backpack straps. It was beyond uncomfortable. She simply could not wear it. The handle rack against her back was a killer. How did Mother Lode resolve that?
Its still not overtly comfortable but good enough to get in and out of airports. The wheels surprised me as well. After the first year I owned them I could not believe they still looked so good and functioned. I had destroyed so may other brands and styles.

I have had the locked ammo case inside my Red Oxx duffle bag in the past. BTW, they don't want you to put ammo in the rifle case any longer. Coming home Argentinian authorities had me move ammo into the gun case, the CBP made me put it back in the suitcase last month.
Makes sense if checked bag is lockable that ammo could go inside it. Again, it seems to be up to the airline how they want the ammo packed. Always check each airline's regs ahead of the trip. Look for it in the "sporting equipment" section of the website NOT under general baggage regulations. Last time I went to Africa I did a double check a few days before departing and discovered to my alarm that Fly Safair out of Joberg to Port Elizabeth suddenly was not allowing guns on their planes. Yikes! I contacted Professional Hunters Assn SA and they pointed out the contradiction in sporting equipment section of Safair site. The vague general gun prohibition applied to carryon or personal carry (duh!).

@Philip Glass

Are the Snapsafe TSA locks the way to go for the Pelican Air case?

Just realized I have the Pelican Air, but never bought locks for it.

Thanks.
Pelican 415 Air is the best for me. Love the new lighter weight yet all the prior benefits

I stopped locking luggage years ago. It’s pointless with a zipper bag. I put nothing of any value in my check luggage and pack clothes that if taken nothing is lost.

Not to hijack this but I've wondered about how people secure their locked ammo case. Do you put it in your duffle or suitcase loose? Or do you have a wire cable that locks the box to your suit case?

I do the later when traveling with a locked pistol case in my suitcase. The pistol case is locked and then it is locked to the suitcase.
It’s easy. I put my ammunition inside a small Pelican ammo container, lock it, then place that inside my Pelican Air, which is also locked. I’ve never had a problem putting my ammo case inside a larger locked case except once and then I simply checked the ammo case separately. It worked fine, came on the baggage carousel just like regular baggage.

For traveling on hunting trips my go to luggage is the Filson duffle on wheels. You can get all the clothes you need but also such things as a break down shooting sticks, soft rifle case, ammo in your lockable case. Filson is a heavy duty duffle .

Rimowa is expensive, but well made and understated. Pelican Air, as noted, is also good and a lot less expensive

I thoroughly enjoy my Rimowa carry on. It holds much more than my previous carry ons. It holds up great but if you worry about dings ,scuffs or scratches this is not for you.

I thoroughly enjoy my Rimowa carry on. It holds much more than my previous carry ons. It holds up great but if you worry about dings ,scuffs or scratches this is not for you.
$1400 for carryon suitcase? Wow! Does it come with a handcuff for securing to you? :D That unit is worth more than the gun I take to Africa.

We use the Delsey and Pelican Lite cases for Africa travel. If someone wants to break into your case, there is nothing you can do. However, like with all security measures, let everyone else be the easier target.

"Don't never take a chance you don't have to." from MAJ Robert Rogers Standing Orders

Safe travels

There is a old but funny saying..." If doesn't cost any more to go first class but some people don't say as long"

Both my partner and I have the aluminum Rimowa check-in suitcases (mine is the trunk version so pistol/ammo cases can fit) and she also has the carry on. She loves it, but never checks it in so it is still pristine after dozens of trips. The check-ins do have scratches etc. but have lasted pretty well. We did replace one of the wheels for hers a couple of years ago (covered by warranty).

The check-ins do not go to Africa for hunting, for that we have his and hers Pelican airs. I did take my Rimowa for my Argentina hunt couple of months ago as I was doing other activities afterwards and needed suits, shoes etc. in addition to hunting clothes and ammo and Rimowa was better suited for that.

@Philip Glass

Are the Snapsafe TSA locks the way to go for the Pelican Air case?

Just realized I have the Pelican Air, but never bought locks for it.

Thanks.
Those have been good and are holding up pretty well after many trips. There is another heavy duty TSA lock on the market but I've not tried it And can't remember the name.
Ill have them on my rifle case (2), Pelican Air suitcase (1), and ammo box (1) plus an extra for each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross