Luggage insurance

Chago

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
So I wanted to see what all you guys do. I know some of you carry some pretty expensive rifles to Africa. Below is a pic of my normal travel kit. I honestly thought air lines cover whatever they lose. Sounds like they don't. I'm a very frequent flyer even with my status in that airline they only cover $3000. Below has much more then that. Do any of you buy extra insurance? Is there insurance policies that will cover north of $10k?

IMG_20200716_214553.jpg

The airline may only cover $300 and don't even count on that. SAA lost some of mine. No answer to e-mails. They just ignore me........ Add a rider to your homeowners policy. Usually that is the cheapest way to protect yourself.
Bruce

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's all I did when I added up what I had in my luggage for my hunting trip.

I just made a call to my insurance agent and added a rider for 6 months that was enough to cover whatever I had.

+1 just add a rider to your existing policy, if you have one

There are various homeowners and renters insurance policies out there. With my reanters insurance policy I added Valuable Personal Property (VPP) coverage, that goes above the normal value of what a regular homeowners or renters insurance policy will cover. Especially when it comes to firearms, jewelry, photo equipment, and other high value items.

Everyone should check and update their homeowners or renters insurance policy annually and adjust the coverage as necessary.

Most standard homeowners or renters insurance policies will limit the amount, number of or value of firearms, jewelry, other high valued items they will include it in the total dollar amount of your coverage.

Also, check to insure should your firearm be stolen: while traveling in and/or out of the country; out of your vehicle, camper, etc., that any other insurance you purchased will cover the loss.

While we are discussing insurance, everyone should do this annually:

1. Read and reread your insurance policies: homeowners, renters, auto, health, boat, camper, etc.

2. Make notes of questions/concerns you have about your policies

3. Update any/all changes needed to your policies: ie. Marital Status, kids, increase/decrease in number of drivers, number and Types of Vehicles, Estimated Annual Driving Mileage, Age(s), etc., any additions and/or remodeling to your home, new appliances, furniture, safe(s), etc.,

4. Update the Increase Value of Your Property! (Especially Increase Costs to Replace Items to Include Any and All Taxes, Shipping, other Fees, etc.)

5. Do Not forget about those taxidermy mounts and costs of hunting trips.

6. Photographs, plenty of them, of the inside and outside of your vehicle(s), home/apartment, camper, etc., firearms and All Accessories, archery equipment and All Accessories, TV and other electronic equipment and All Accessories, Most of all the Serial Numbers and write down the best detailed description you can and attach it to your insurance policy and provide a Copy to Your Insurance Company: Not just hand this information to your agent: the Insurance Company must have this information on file!.

7. For those that reload make note to ask about your reloading items: presses, other accessories, and your reloading supplies: bullets, primers, powders, brass, etc.

Once you have all your questions wrote down contact your insurance agent(s) and set up a time to Thoroughly go over All your questions and concerns about your policy(ies), and Make the necessary adjustments. You'll be glad you did should anything happen.

If it becomes necessary, as some insurance agents/companies will advise that you purchase a temporary (and relatively inexpensive) policy for your valuables when traveling outside your country of origin.

For health insurance Same Thing! Review and Update your health insurance policy(ies)! Most health insurance Will Not or Only limit healthcare coverage and costs while you are traveling outside your country of origin!

Save yourself a lot of grief: Review your health insurance policy(ies), purchase a temporary healthcare policy that covers you, your family/ traveling companion(s)(ie girlfriend/boyfriend, etc.) with you. Preferably one with emergency evacuation services. Generally these are low cost policies, but well worth the money should anything happen to you or a loved one while abroad.

Make sure to read and re read and fully understand and By All Means Make Sure what you are expecting all of your insurance policies to cover is Written in your policies. Insurance Companies love and Intentionally use "Loopholes" in their policies to Avoid Paying Out more than "they" have to!

Don't Get Tricked into buying a premium policy, when all you need is an economy package! Look over Each Policy offer very very carefully and judge for yourself what is right for you and your family at home. Do the same when traveling, whether in country of origin or across the globe.

Then consider how good that HMO, PPO, other group type insurance really is: NOT very good after all.

Make sure there is No "War Clause" in fine or other wording in your policies. If such a clause is included either have it deleted or find a better insurance company! This is an Insurance Company's Best Trick to collect and keep your money and Not To Pay You for any loss, injury, healthcare, etc.!

Ask yourself how much are you willing or can you afford to pay out of pocket when considering deductibles and getting the proper amount of insurance coverage, should you suddenly find yourself in a difficult or catastrophic situation.

Be careful not to over insure, why waste money on buying two insurance policies that offer the same coverages. (With exceptions. However, not pertaining to this OP).

There is a company that specializes in gun and trophy insurance and they cover your stuff world wide. I didn't take a very expensive rifle on my safari but it was covered none the less.

I’m an insurance guy..... anytime you can, add the additional insurance where it is available or belongs. The “freebie” stuff, by airlines is worthless. You may very well have coverage on your Homeowners, assuming it’s not a basic, limited, policy like many, even big name companies are. Endorsements can be added/enhanced. Also, consider lowering your deductible, in the event of a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,