Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, North American Hunting Club, Southern Maine Fish & Game, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Gentlemen,

I am heading to South Africa for a hunt in June 2018. There will be four of us and we will be travelling with firearms. I'm getting ready to close the deal on flights. My travel agent is pushing Qatar Airlines. The best flight money wise is Lufthansa. Several members of my group have used Lufthansa before with no problems. I don't see any new firearms rules on the Lufthansa website. The layover for Lufthansa is in Frankfort. The layover for Qatar is in Hamad, Doha, Qatar. The Qatar flight is a little better time wise. For obvious reasons I would prefer my layover to be in Germany. Does anyone have experience with either of these airlines and travelling with firearms?

Thanks for the help.

Foxi

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
normaly no problem.
You have to declare it by your booking.
And I told them ALWAYS its just a sporting gun for competition and Im on the way with it.
Regards from Munich

Tobe

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Thanks Foxi. We just wanted to confirm that there have been no changes at Lufthansa. We have an email in with Lufthansa but figured we would have a faster response at AH.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I have flown Lufthansa from Houston to J’berg with layover in Frankfurt and they were great. Food wasn’t bad, flight attendants were good and the layover is long enough to go stomp around Frankfurt for the day. They do have a firearm rule that you must confirm 24 or 48 hours in advance of your departure but the lovely Jennifer Ginn @Travel Express handled all of that for me and I had no issues whatsoever.
Cheers,
Cody

GuttormG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Lufthansa is my absolute favorite airline.
Only downside is the charge extra for firearms (50 euro per flight).

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, DSC, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
There is a reason your agent is pushing Qatar, the gulf carriers have a better product. I don't know what class of service you are looking at but Eco seat is Eco seat no matter the airline, but the level of service will be better on Qatar. Now, if you are looking at Premium Eco on LH, then I would pick LH over Qatar, as Qatar does not have Premium Eco. Business - Qatar. At same or similar price.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Attachments

• media_1638184726.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 130

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
I like to get the pain out of the way as quickly as possible I also try and minimize transfers so fewer government bureaucrats to deal with guns and less chance for lost luggage. For me the shortest with the least grief is Delta through Atlanta. there is no way to make 16 hrs on an aircraft a pleasant experience unless you have $10,000 for first class and for me that is almost 2 hunts. I gladly pay the extra for the delta through Atlanta over anyone else via other routes

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I flew Lufthansa ONCE from Joburg to Frankfurt. It just plain sucked. The seats were very TIGHT. I would never fly them again. YMMV.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
I have flown through Frankfurt on many occasions, and on one or two transferred to or from Lufthansa. I’ve never had a problem with the airline or the airport. I go through there with confidence.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
I flew united from DFW to Frankfurt, then Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Joberg last June. No problems at all.

In fact, the flights were so trouble free that we booked the same flights for our upcoming hunt in March..

Zero complaints

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
Have flown Luftthansa many times Iceland Frankfurt Joberg they are brilliant book early get an exit row seat and you are sorted ....pricewise competitive

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Only issue I had with Lufthansa is that they seem to go on strike when least expected.

Once at OR Tambo we had to do a second landing as the first was aborted, this was in the big A380 double decker.

Other than that, no issues.

Foxi

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
Only issue I had with Lufthansa is that they seem to go on strike when least expected.

ouch ,I forgot that totally.
Yes,in 2016 the pilots striked 6 or 8 times .
It was horrible.Lufthansa bought a few low cost carrierer and the L-pilots should go down with their income.
But in March last year ,they came to an agreement: 5 years no strikes.
Hope it is so.
Foxi

Tobe

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the information.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME

Once at OR Tambo we had to do a second landing as the first was aborted, this was in the big A380 double decker.

Other than that, no issues.

That go around cost them a nice piece of change. I guess it's a little unnerving to the passengers doing S turns in a 380. :sick:

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
That go around cost them a nice piece of change. I guess it's a little unnerving to the passengers doing S turns in a 380. :sick:

Yip, and the more than 500 passengers get a little bit nervous when the plane goes from nose down coming in to land to suddenly full throttle nose up!:confused:

The pilot was great though and informed all immediately and landing was flawless.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Thanks Foxi. We just wanted to confirm that there have been no changes at Lufthansa. We have an email in with Lufthansa but figured we would have a faster response at AH.
No transit permit required now.

GuttormG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Lufthansa is my absolute favorite airline.
Only downside is the charge extra for firearms (50 euro per flight).

Still my favourite airline but will not use them again for going to South Africa or any travel with guns.
1-they have increased their fee for firearms, now charging 300 Euro per guncase.
2-very unproffessional handling of check-in of firearms at johannesburg. Their local agent (swissport) did theyr very best but Lufthansa apperently does not give them acsess to their system so they have to call Frankfurt to get prices, instructions and answers.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
300 Euro per gun case....just absolutely unbelievable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalthoff

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh