Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am getting frustrated and have destroyed two sets of dies reloading my 450-400 bullets. I am doing the following:
1. Lubing all the brass...even tried heavy lube versus light.
2. I screw down the die until it meets the ram.
3. I barely have the decap pin down so it will punch out the primer.
I then still end up with the brass getting hopelessly jammed in the die.

What am I doing wrong please???

How did you "destroy" two dies? Are cases stuck in them? Are the case heads still relatively intact?
Unless one takes a Dremel or grinder to a die, it'd be difficult to ruin one. There are tools available to remove stuck cases if one doesn't have a tap, bolt and a socket to remove them.
Can you post any pics and are you using the correct shell holder?

How did you "destroy" two dies? Are cases stuck in them? Are the case heads still relatively intact?
Unless one takes a Dremel or grinder to a die, it'd be difficult to ruin one. There are tools available to remove stuck cases if one doesn't have a tap, bolt and a socket to remove them.
Can you post any pics and are you using the correct shell holder?
Wow again, I have just tried using pliers to grasp the brass and pull out but can’t. Please what tools are available to unstick a piece of brass?

thanks!

That will do it. You should be able to repair those dies. The manufacturer will do it if you aren’t comfortable doing it.

Shouldnt have to lube the inside of the neck to avoid sticking in the die, it helps keep things running smoothly but not really necessary.
The shell holder is fine touching the bottom of the die, that gives a true full length resize. Its not always needed, depends on the gun and its chamber and type, lever, bolt etc.
I would look at the die itself as to being undersized, it can happen. What brand are they?

Rare Breed, I believe that most sizing dies are to be backed off "a full revolution" after being turned in to where they touch the "shell-plate." What are you using to lube the cases?
Same thing the guy who taught me how to re load said but he said a 1/2 turn

Try using Imperial resizing wax and be sure that your dies are clean. I've been hand loading for over 50 years and its the best case lube that I have ever used.
I suspect there is more going on here than the lube brand. I have used RCBS forever, over 50 years and it works fine.
Sounds like something mechanical is amiss.

If you are lubing properly and have the right dies for the case, something is likely wrong with the internal dimensions of the dies.
Try a different brand or ask the die maker.

This is the RCBS kit, the easy way to acquire the necessary parts to do the job but the drill, tap, socket head cap screw and allen wrench are all readily available separately.
Imperial lube or Hornady One Shot lube work well as case lubes. Use as directed and you won't have a problem.

Parts consist of a #7 drill bit, 1/4-20 starter (#1) tap, 1/4-20 x 1" socket head cap screw, 5/32 allen wrench and a socket that is large enough for the screw/bolt to go through but small enough to capture the head. You're basically jacking out the case from the die.

SCR.jpg

Last edited:
Wonder how long they have been selling that kit? I’ve been drill, tapping and using a deep socket with a threaded bolt, I’m sure same concept only much easier to get stayed with just buying the kit

This is the RCBS kit, the easy way to acquire the necessary parts to do the job but the drill, tap, socket head cap screw and allen wrench are all readily available separately.
Imperial lube or Hornady One Shot lube work well as case lubes. Use as directed and you won't have a problem.

View attachment 440817
I agree, I looked at that kit on the internet and realized that I could do it myself.
1/4-20 tap, the right size bit, a bolt and washer, and a 3/8 drive socket for the bushing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you