Luangwa Valley Late May Early June

NWT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zim, MT, CO, NM, WY, UT, SD, ND, MO, AR, TX, AZ, WI, KS,IL, IA, BC, Yukon, NWT
My hunting dates for 2019 may be changing. I have researched hunting Tanzania in late August early September and had that pretty much figured out with the help of some of you here at AH . Work commitments may change my hunt dates to a late May early June hunt eliminating Tanzania as an option.
I am now exploring Zambia. Our main two animals would be buffalo and sable. I am concerned about the success of hunting in the long grass and thick bush eliminating opportunities during these hunt dates. I would love to hear from hunters who have hunted in the Luangwa Valley during late May and early June and what your experiences were and what kind of conditions we would expect. I have a young hunter going on his first major hunt so I am hoping to eliminate any bad decisions. We want to hunt free range. I also understand and go by the philosophy of pick the PH first . Any recommendations on PH's specializing in the Luangwa Valley for trophy buffalo and sable would be greatly appreciated.

Late May and Early June would make for tough hunting with the long grass.
It would be challenging. The temperatures would be nice though, cool days and chilly nights.
PM me if you'd like details of PH's and Zambian operators in the area. There are a couple on this site that could help too.

I have not hunted during the months you are asking about, but was just there in late July. From what I know May/June would be challenging. I will PM you regarding the outfitter.

It will be very difficult in May/June. Not a great situation for a young hunter on a buff hunt. I would head to Zim if I had to hunt that early.

Reactions: cls
Could you move your hunt back to October? The Luangwa would be great in October.

I was in the luangwa valley mid August last year and it was still very green and thick they were just starting to burn the tall grass. If you want your buff up close and personal than that's when to go. Later would be better.

It will be very difficult in May/June. Not a great situation for a young hunter on a buff hunt. I would head to Zim if I had to hunt that early.

Thanks for you input. Where in Zim would you do this hunt in late May early June?

Could you move your hunt back to October? The Luangwa would be great in October.

At this time the only time frame we can look at for the hunt is late May early June due to the young man starting his career in a new job after his college graduation.

Late May and Early June would make for tough hunting with the long grass.
It would be challenging. The temperatures would be nice though, cool days and chilly nights.
PM me if you'd like details of PH's and Zambian operators in the area. There are a couple on this site that could help too.

Thank you!

Thanks for you input. Where in Zim would you do this hunt in late May early June?

I’m sure others with more experience will chime in. I would look for bush areas without the high grass you get along the Luangwa. I think the low veld would be a reasonable option but I would ask others who may have hunted the Zambezi valley at that time of year for their opinion.

Reactions: NWT
I’m sure others with more experience will chime in. I would look for bush areas without the high grass you get along the Luangwa. I think the low veld would be a reasonable option but I would ask others who may have hunted the Zambezi valley at that time of year for their opinion.

Thank you! I believe you are way more experienced than you give yourself credit for.

As far as I know I don't think any of the luangwa GMAS are opened up in may....June is earliest I think.. ....depends on the rains and it would still be very difficult to get around in a lot of areas....and the bush would be very thick and grass high....michael @Mbizi Safaris or @Thor Kirchner can tell you what it would be like lower down the luangwa and being more hilly instead of flat flood plain might possibly be easier to get around but the thick bush is still going to be a problem....also sable are not found in most luangwa areas. Michael has them and possibly couple other places but not common there

I hunted the Bubye Valley Conservancy in southern Zim with PH John Sharp in late May a few years ago. I guess the BVC would be described as low veld. Grass wasn't an issue, but the leaves were still pretty thick. Weather was great. If I do it again though, a month or two later will be when I hunt.

No. The hunt will need to be conducted late May early June.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg