Lowland Bongo spotted in Uganda for 1st time

Would be amazing if the eastern race truly reestablished itself.

It's great news.

"The species is rare throughout the forests of western and central Africa, with populations declining due to habitat destruction and hunting for meat, mainly through using snares."

Ummm......poaching or hunting?o_O

I mean since hunting is just defined as the pursuit and killing of wild animals, poaching sadly fits in. Tho yea this is an amazing discovery. My only worry is that if there is a bongo population there, it's too small to really propagate itself. So depending on the subspecies, I'd ship some in from either zoo populations or from other parts of the Congo.

bushmeat5.jpg

I mean since hunting is just defined as the pursuit and killing of wild animals, poaching sadly fits in.
The key difference is poaching is defined as ILLEGAL so poaching does not "fit in".

Good news, they are a fascinating species, I hope I get to opportunity to hunt them one day.

Safari Club International has a large number of wealthy and educated members who are well versed in business practices and supply chains. What if there were a way to get the meat from places where cattle are raised domestically in southern Africa to the places where people are so starved for protein that they rely on bushmeat? That would be a good project to see if and how it might work, and get some support to set it up. That would be the best way to save Bongo and other rare animals. Especially if there were efficiencies that would allow beef to be less expensive than bushmeat. There is a project for you guys.

Safari Club International has a large number of wealthy and educated members who are well versed in business practices and supply chains. What if there were a way to get the meat from places where cattle are raised domestically in southern Africa to the places where people are so starved for protein that they rely on bushmeat? That would be a good project to see if and how it might work, and get some support to set it up. That would be the best way to save Bongo and other rare animals. Especially if there were efficiencies that would allow beef to be less expensive than bushmeat. There is a project for you guys.
Personally, I'd say get creatures that are really cheap to raise for meat like rabbits, nutria, and guinea pig

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross