Lost Luggage

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
It came up on another post that it was a good idea to use readily-available ammunition so that it can be replaced easily upon arrival if your ammo goes missing en route. One poster claimed luggage being lost is a myth and something that doesn't happen in significant amounts.

This seems to me, based on my personal experience, to be a string of remarkable good fortune. But it is entirely possible that, in fact, that is the norm and I have just had less than good fortune.

I've taken 5 trips to Africa in 10 years and had my ammo-containing luggage delayed 4 days on one trip. Fortunately, that happened to be the one trip where I decided to spend a week in Germany before proceeding to Namibia and the luggage was lost on that leg of my journey. So for me, 20% lost luggage rate, 0% actual effect on my hunting.

Am I particularly unlucky? What are your experiences, specifically regarding the luggage containing your ammo on trips to Africa? Please post both good and bad experiences- I'd like to get a reasonable picture of this.

I think that it is too small of a problem to worry about.

My plan was that if my rifle or ammo didn't show up that I would just rent a rifle.

I also didn't worry about my ammo. My rifle was a 340 Weatherby and I didn't think that I would find any locally.

It's as a saying goes, "don't sweat the small stuff." As long as I had my backpack which was my carry on I could go hunting

Three trips starting in Alaska. Two to Namibia, one to South Africa . All with layovers in Frankfurt aside from US airports. Twice with firearms and ammo, all with a bow. I haven't lost a thing and nothing was even late.

One thing that I found on my trip is that if you talk to the gate agent if you are transferring planes, ask them if your luggage is aboard. That's all I and my hunting partner did and the agent told us that all of our luggage was there and going with us.

We started on Delta, swapped to a second Delta flight, and then flew to Joberg.

It came up on another post that it was a good idea to use readily-available ammunition so that it can be replaced easily upon arrival if your ammo goes missing en route. One poster claimed luggage being lost is a myth and something that doesn't happen in significant amounts.

This seems to me, based on my personal experience, to be a string of remarkable good fortune. But it is entirely possible that, in fact, that is the norm and I have just had less than good fortune.

I've taken 5 trips to Africa in 10 years and had my ammo-containing luggage delayed 4 days on one trip. Fortunately, that happened to be the one trip where I decided to spend a week in Germany before proceeding to Namibia and the luggage was lost on that leg of my journey. So for me, 20% lost luggage rate, 0% actual effect on my hunting.

Am I particularly unlucky? What are your experiences, specifically regarding the luggage containing your ammo on trips to Africa? Please post both good and bad experiences- I'd like to get a reasonable picture of this.

I put a thread up a while ago asking people this...seemed to be not a common occurrence...but from memory it seemed the same few were jinxed as with some happened more than once....

Current IATA figures for misdirected baggage runs about 25 million bags per year out of a total of 4.3 billion bags carried. In most cases it only means your luggage arrives home a few days later than you, however that is no value if your boots or ammo don't turn up on time for your drive to the hunting camp.

ps I've experienced misdirected baggage on 2 occasions, similar figures for other family members. Fortunately non-critical circumstances.

Baggage and guns do get lost, happened to me once, although luckily it was on the way back home and did not affect my hunt.

That is why it is recommended that you pack a change of hunting clothes in your carry on along with all of your meds and other things that you can not get along without. Then wear your hunting boots or a pair of boots/shoes that you can hunt in.

Then if something does happen to your checked luggage/rifle/ammo you can still go hunting and not just sit like a bump on a log waiting for things to show up.

I’ve never had my baggage delayed going to Africa, but I’ve had it coming home. Usually if there is a delayed flight in Africa. Last time landed in Calgary wearing jeans and a short sleeve shirt, in the middle of a really bad snow storm. Airport shut down and no luggage, only had enough medication for 2 more days, I was 2 days late already. Managed to get a flight through Edmonton then GP the next day, luggage show up 3 days later. Lots of hoops to jump through to get the guns home through customs.

I carried all of my meds with me in my carry on. Not just enough for a few days but full prescriptions. My lightweight jacket also came with me. It might not of helped much if a full blown blizzard but it would be better than nothing.

I have a horror story that turned out as a bonus. Back to back Safaris in Zim then Namibia, BC to SA thru Atlanta, SA to Zim, Zim to Namibia all luggage at all airport carousel's. Coming home, Namibia to SA, SA to Atlanta, no guns at Atlanta, told they were taken off plane in SA due to weight. WTH. 6 weeks later and after many, many, many calls, conversations, Delta could not find my guns, told me file was closed sent me a cheque for $2800 Cnd. I loose it and call head PR in NY, lady tells me "if you want your guns find them yourself", WTH. I call SAPs in SA, Officer tells me exactly where my guns are in USA, what where house, isle and shelf in the "freight" storage. I call the # he provides and person verifies he is looking at my gun case. I arrange shipping and have bill sent to Delta. 2 weeks later I receive guns in Vic, a descriptive call to the NY lady's boss and I am told to keep and cash the cheque. I did.

I always pack necessities including clothing change in carry on and wear my hunting boots. Also ask gate if my luggage is on board, not sure if they know but always a yes response. I am too stubborn to give up on lost guns, homeward allows time, on way to hunt would be way more stressful. An experience I never want to endure.

MB

My main bag with ammunition was delayed 6 days going into Mozambique a few years ago. My PH had eight A Frames (300 gr .375). I used three (three one shot groups!) :oops: for sighting-in purposes and had killed a buffalo, reedbuck, and sable with one remaining when my bag arrived. I also borrowed an extra shirt and pair of jeans. I carry one set in my carry on.

The bag had apparently been set aside with my rifle when transiting Joburg and never forwarded. Fortunately a friend of the outfitter was in South Africa, went to the airport, and found it. All I was getting from the South African Airways guy in Beira was a French salute.

Otherwise, never a problem.

Had my gun delayed a couple hours flying from Alberta Canada to U.S. but I was on my way home anyway so it didn't effect the hunt at all. And I shoot a 30.06 so finding ammo about anywhere should be feasible but I've never had to. For Africa I am planning on renting the outfitters rifle if mine doesn't show up

My ammo box went astray on a trip last year. Arrived in Addis Ababa late. The ground staff were great meeting us off the plane straight onto buses across the apron to our connecting flights. I saw the rifle cases going onboard and breathed a sigh of relief. There was a slight look of dismay on my face in Windhoek later !
if push comes to shove I can survive out of my carryon. however finding 7x57 proved problematic. Eventually found one box of 175gr. PPU in a gun shop in Grootfontein. I ended up with one round left.

You can buy cheap GPS tracker tags to put in rifle case, ammo box and main suitcase. Then can locate your bags via your cellphone.

You can buy cheap GPS tracker tags to put in rifle case, ammo box and main suitcase. Then can locate your bags via your cellphone.also good to track your teenagers driving habits. :)

In my first 5 international hunts I have had guns/baggage go missing on 3 of them. If you figure each hunt has a going to and coming home section then that is 3 out of 10. On my last hunt to Africa my ammo box failed to arrive from Zambia to Jo-berg. I guess my luck with that sucks.....
Bruce

I do 60-100 flights a year, lost or delayed luggage is very rare.
Biggest risk is changing airlines, avoid if possible.
Also avoiding British Airways helps...
Also avoid the low-cost airlines (easy in this setting since most of them don't carry guns),.

I have been very fortunate with rifles and ammo. One trip on the way back my rifle didn’t make the plane from Atlanta to Columbia. The rifle was hand delivered less than an hour after I arrived home. The drive from atl is almost four hours! Thanks delta!

I love that idea (GPS). How cheap is cheap? Is there a brand anyone has used and would recommend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.