Lost Ammo When Flying

AkMike

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
This has been brought up many times in the different forums thru the years and I'm curious.. I haven't ever had it happen but it's always a "What IF" topic..

How many of you have actually had the ammo lost during transit to the hunt?

With the current Gov't/airlines regs the ammo is not to be packed with the firearms so it'd be in your luggage.

Has the luggage ever arrived minus the ammo?

Depending on how they are feeling when flying SAA through Joberg your ammunition is sometimes shipped separate from your luggage. I was never so happy to see the little green box come of the plane in Bulawayo. So you could lose your ammo without losing your luggage. Last time through Joberg the ammo box stayed in my suitcase. Go figure?

But to answer the original question it has not happened to me. It has happened to a friend of mine on a muskox hunt. Lost ammo, proprietery cartridge, borrowed a rifle with ammo in camp. But it does happen but not very often.

Our TSA doesn't care if you pack the ammo in your rifle case according to their website.

When I went thru JoBerg in '09 the folks on the ground there seemed very concerned about my ammo and made quite a fuss about it and I never was able to figure out why. I got the royal runaround from the SAPS people that day and I was not happy about it but everything got where it was supposed to in the end.

Since your flying several different airlines, its best to have all ammo in your luggage.That seems to keep everyone happy. I have been to Africa so many times that I have lost count but it way over 50 I suspect. Never had a problem. If one has a problem it can be handled with a twenty dollar bill, but it must be presented properly or you could offend someone and end up looking at Africa through bars! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross